Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Expansion? Wtf.

blown428fe
    Filled my tanks last night and temps were in the 50s, today temps hit mid 80s and fuel was pouring out of both fillers. How much does fuel expand? God damn im pissed off, lifted the paint on one side.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...un_016-med.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...un_018-med.jpg

OUCH...that sucks i dont know how much gas expands in the heat, but i'm sure it does quite a bit...i usually never fill my tanks full (12 1/2 gal) normally only 10 gal to compensate for that prob...hopefully the paint will be easy to fix
    fastrat

Bruddah's Gal
    this is bruddah on my gals name, this happend to us too. the fuel expanded and was dripping down the boat the whole night. our gel is all white like yours and we think that it burnt the clear coat and now there is a yellowish tint to a part of the bow where it was running down. definately a bummer but what can you do.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Gasoline expansion is under 2% for 100 deg temp increase, but, if the tank is full, and say ... occupies 10-cubic feet volume, it'll force out about 1/2 cu ft, or about 3 gallons.

olbiezer
    i was luckey my gas did the same thing the other day as i had put in a full tank on both sides........gas rose up the 8 inches of tube and over flowed both sides.......siphoned out a half gallon on both sides and no prob today.......the luckey part was i dont have paint.......didnt hurt the gelcoat i just had to rewax around the tank fillers.. :rollside:

blown428fe
    i was luckey my gas did the same thing the other day as i had put in a full tank on both sides........gas rose up the 8 inches of tube and over flowed both sides.......siphoned out a half gallon on both sides and no prob today.......the luckey part was i dont have paint.......didnt hurt the gelcoat i just had to rewax around the tank fillers.. :rollside:
    Same thing here, gas wasnt touching the tubes. Took 1.5 out of each.

Mine did that but I thought it was the air in the tanks that expands pushing the fuel out of the tanks where it vents. It didnt do it when the air "bubble" was up towards the fills .
    -beerjet-

boats&bars
    I had the same problem I went to a true vent and stopped the problem
    also store the boat bow up or it will leave a stripe all the way to the bow

store the boat bow up or it will leave a stripe all the way to the bow
    That's all I do.

bigriverdog
    My 2 cents,
    If you just filled up and you are not boating right away, Crank the front of the boat up so the air is not trapped in the back of the tank. If the nose of the boat is down, and you have front fill tanks, the air will expand and push gas out. If the air bubble is on the front, it will allow the vented caps to work.
    This has worked for me for 35 years or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast