Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do when it hits???

Water Romper
    After all the threads regarding monsoons at Havi lately, and the fact that I have never been in one while boating, what is the best course of action?
    If I am at the channel (beached) watching dancers get ticketed and a monsoon hits, what would guys do?
    If I hurry to the ramp, say Windsor, I am going to run into all the other boaters franticly trying to get off the lake. :yuk:
    If I stay parked in the channel, I guess I leave the bimini top up to try and shield some of the water and ride out the storm however in a monsoon I donÂ’t think it much mattersÂ… :cry:
    I guess I could get under the bridge and just hang out there until it blows overÂ…but I assume I would be joined by all the other peeps with the same idea...
    If I was out on the lake I think I would see the clouds getting ugly then I would be able haul azz to the nearest cove or head back to the ramp and try and beat the storm..
    How long do these thing last...
    Keep in mind my boat is only a 19 foot Carrera, low profile with not much freeboard so the churning-choppy water would be devistating..
    Or, do I sell the boat, buy a 'toon??? :crossx:

OutCole'd
    I lost a 18' Jet boat in a Monsoon way back trying to beat the storm back to the channel. I would try to find the nearest cove & hang there or like when mine hit, it was traveling South across the lake, looking back, I should have just kept traveling South and just out ran it. Let it end then head back at the end of the day. Instead, I was bailing water out of my air cleaner.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    We usually just hang out and sit under the bimini. Doesn't often last more than 1/2 an hour.
    Unless we are already at the slip at Katherine. Then we hang out also, but get to watch a good show at the ramp. The best is the folks trying to put the pontoon boat on the trailer with the full bimini up. The worst is seeing a young woman trying to maintain a jetboat while her husband/boyfriend is retrieving the trailer in the 1-2 hour line and you can see she is really scared.
    Beach it, I say, till it blows over. Plus, then the launch lines will be a lot shorter.

Water Romper
    How long do these things last?

Ziggy
    pretty much regardless of where you are at the best scenario is to wait it out........other boaters on beaches have been more than cordial when you approach their beach for shelter from the storm.
    If you see it coming and have the option to pull out before then go for it, but realize others may be doing the same so the ramps could get scetchy.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    How long do these things last?
    From what I've seen, usually 30-60 minutes. Don't hold me to it, but that's been my experience. I have seen some that last a lot longer, but that is on very rare occasions. What's everyone else think?

Ziggy
    From what I've seen, usually 30-60 minutes. Don't hold me to it, but that's been my experience. I have seen some that last a lot longer, but that is on very rare occasions. What's everyone else think?
    I'd say that is about right.....the rain might continue but the wind usually dies down

Jyruiz
    I have never seen a monsoon last longer than an hour, if that, but we have always waited them out, the lake gets real nice after that, except for the humidity. The river (Needles) however doesnt. One time we got to Needles just as a monsoon past, and five minutes later, the water turned brown. I guess it was from all the runoff the monsoon rain caused. I would not want to put my boat in that though, it look real nasty with all kinds of stuff floating in the water.

HM
    That would be a good reccomendation. Although at Mohave last week, we had one hit right about 1 PM and it did not let up until about 4 AM. There was a boat that pulled into our cove and ended up staying the night under a tarp on the beach. We offered for them to come hang out, but they said they were fine. I had fun battening down the hatches as that storm was crazy. Wind blew from every direction. Lightening was right over head a few times as well...once while I was on the sea doo resetting the anchor to our boat....that was a tad scary. :220v:

Ziggy
    Lightening was right over head a few times as well...once while I was on the sea doo resetting the anchor to our boat....that was a tad scary. :220v:
    Holy Moly !!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast