Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burning rubber smell

Tahiti Day Cruiser
    Havasu Hangin' is correct,
    Here is a quick link for that water impeller.
    http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/P...e/homepage.asp
    I read somewhere that this same part can be purchased from NAPA auto parts for a considerably lower price, maybe worth looking into. Anyhow have the engine serial number ready and you will at least get an idea how much the kit costs for your particular boat. I think unless the housing is damaged, just get the rebuild kit which comes with the impeller, gaskets and a few other misc things.
    Good luck

BOFH
    One time I was having a hell of a time figuring out a problem with my generator. It would start fine, and run great for a while, then load up and die. It would crank but not fire after thet until at least an hour had passed. After checking everything twice, I pulled an exhaust hose to get at something on the engine and happened to look inside. While the hose looked brand new on the outside, the inside had been badly burned and started to slough off. When it would heat up, it would expand and mostly block the exhaust. It would still flow enough to crank fine, just not enough to run.
    The point is that while the hoses may look fine, you don't know until you look inside.

Trash
    TDC, thanks for the link to the parts site.
    BOFH, thanks for the hose input. I'll see if I can stick a flash light up the back side and inspect the hoses. I hope they're okay cause its a bitch to get 'em off.
    When I get home from work in a few days I'll fire it up and do some more trouble shooting.
    I was really hoping to hit Mead, Havasu or Mohave on Sunday.
    Trash

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12