Thread: Oil cleanup

maxwedge
    Hypothetically speaking...suppose a person happened to accidently empty six or seven quarts of used motor oil into the bildge and stringer area of an old Sidewinder the day before some major fiberglass repairs were planned to that same area...major oops . The fiberglass hull is very heavy cloth so it traps little pockets of oil quite nicely.
    How would one go about cleaning this mess up? I soaked up most of it that I could with about six rolls of paper towels, oil dry and sawdust, but you can still tell were the oil soaked into the fiberglass. I want to make absolutely certain it's clean of all the oil film before I start with the new glass. Is there a chemical that will take the oil off but not harm the fiberglass or leave a residue? I was thinking dish soap with Simple Green and a scrub brush, followed by a serious accetone wipe down. Anyone got a better idea?

sanger rat
    Your on the right track. Simple Green automotive is a little stronger. Auto Zone has it.

YeLLowBoaT
    Dish soap and hot water actually works fairly well for oil.

rerfert
    Dish soap,scrub brush and a presure washer(car wash??)

Goober
    simple green and a brush first and then power was it.

jbone
    Drain plug issue? :idea: I did the same to my driveway once. :squiggle:
    J

Riverjet502
    Simple Green is great stuff to use first. Dawn dish soap and hot water works good too. Then get the rubber gloves out and get some Acetone this is a solvent and will get what the degreasers missed. Acetone is available at most hardware stores and Wal-Marts. Good Luck.......

DelawareDave
    Yeah- I discovered acetone is cheaper at Home Depot by $6 a gallon, than the local "marine store".
    Anyway, you should wipe it down with acetone before sanding anyway, to get the wax off the surface so you don't grind it into where you are putting new glass.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Hot soapy water, or a good degreaaser like SG, I'd nuke it to make it hot too, then acetone it. Work fast with the acetone as it evaporates like mad. Definitely good quality rubber chemical glove time as the acetone is sooooo dry a solvbent and it will pull all the oils from your skin just as fast as the boat.

v-drive
    I would use oil eater, it is available at costco and some auto part stores.
    SG is its bitch....... v-drive