Thread: Cracked intake manifold/valve cover

75MillerJet
    So i took my intake manifold off to change from the valley pan to 2 piece gaskets on my 455 today (among other things) and found these 2 nice size cracks in my manifold. :cry: :cry: :cry: (see attachments) This might explain why on memorial weekend i had no prob seeing 5,000 rpm with 6 people and last trip i couldn't get past about 4,200 with 3 people right? So i guess i'm in the market for a new intake manifold. Any suggestions or anyone with an intake for sale? I was thinking either a Performer or Victor single carb setup. Also, I pulled all the pushrods and restricted them by tapping 3/32 x 3/8 roll pins into the tops and bottoms of each one, and found a crack in one of the valve covers. Decreased the size of the pushrod ID by about half. (This was suggested by Jet Boat Performance instead of pipecleaners) So I'm gonna need a new set of valve covers also. Ugh, boats are not a cheap hobby for a 20 year old. :cry:

centerhill condor
    I'm thinking you've got bigger problems... how do you crack a valve cover and an intake? the pics didn't make it...

Knucklehead
    I have a set of valve covers $50.00 plus shipping
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...id=15479&stc=1

75MillerJet
    I'm thinking you've got bigger problems... how do you crack a valve cover and an intake? the pics didn't make it...
    oops here u go taken with cellphone so not the greatest... and as for the intake i have no idea how it cracked but its the same manifold thats been on there since the boat was first made i think (1975) and the valve cover might've been cracked already i'm not sure

Old Guy
    If you have an OT Header exhaust, a Victor intake manifold will probably work well. If you have a log/riser through transom exhaust system, a Performer will work better.
    old

75MillerJet
    If you have an OT Header exhaust, a Victor intake manifold will probably work well. If you have a log/riser through transom exhaust system, a Performer will work better.
    old
    yes i have log/riser exhaust setup right now and if/when i go aftermarket i will stay thru transom... i heard that the victor intake is made for a higher RPM than i will ever see anyways. Are there any other brands known to be better flowing for the Olds than Edelbrock or are they pretty much the leader?

Old Guy
    yes i have log/riser exhaust setup right now and if/when i go aftermarket i will stay thru transom... i heard that the victor intake is made for a higher RPM than i will ever see anyways. Are there any other brands known to be better flowing for the Olds than Edelbrock or are they pretty much the leader?
    I spent several days on my friends Dyno trying to get a brand new port matched Victor intake to make more power than my Performer (included cam changes). The log/riser exhaust just killed it. We did all the testing with the log/riser system in place, because that's what's on the motor when I'm using it. It was depressing. I have the Victor on the shelf waiting til I can afford $3700 for through transom headers (Bassett). I have not heard about anything better than the Performer for our kind of set-up. Good Luck.

it appears from the pics, that the cracks are on the underside of the manif...my suggestion is...if u like the manif u have & cant find a used Performer for a "decent" price...u might take it to a reliable/compentent welder & have it TIG welded!...as for the valve covers...buy the one's Knucklehead has... polish them up & ur good to go ...just my .02 cents
    fastrat