Thread: Jl Amp Issues

BRSTQUEST
    I HAVE A JL E6450 AMP POWERING A MILD SYSTEM IN MY 05 CHEVY C/C. IAM USING THE STOCK HEAD UNIT AND HAVE 4 6.5 JL XR650-CSi IN THE DOORS AND A SINGLE 10" JL 10W1v2 BEHIND THE REAR SEAT. IAM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE POWER CUTTING IN AND OUT. ALL CONNECTIONS HAVE BEEN CHECKED AND RECHECKED BUT I THINK IT MAY BE A BAD AMP. HAS ANYONE HAD ISSUES SIMILAR TO THIS WITH JL'S OR OTHER AMPS. I HAVE ALL JL STUFF IN THE BOAT AND NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED. THANKS

h2oski2fast
    Sounds like a bad speaker, or speaker wire is pinched. Disconnect each speaker one at a time and see if the problem goes away.
    BTW, lose he capital letters.... makes it hard to read.

BRSTQUEST
    I've Had Two Different People Look At It And Can't Figure It Out. The Problem Is At Its Worst When Truck Is Moving. When It Loses Power At A Moderate Level I Can TUrn Up The Volume And It Will Get Power But When I Start To Move Again It Losses Power. Because Of The Moving Issue I Was Thinking That There Is Sometype Of Internal Problem With The Amp. But I Will Recheck Each Wire, Just Hard To Do While Moving....thanks For The Info Though

h2oski2fast
    May not be an amp problem at all, thats what I was trying to get at. You can always go buy a new amp, then if that wasn't the problem then you have a spare and the same situation.

BadKachina
    Does the amp actually shut off on and on? Can you see if the light is turning off and on? If so it's a power issue, could easilly be a loose connection or bad ground. Could also be bad rca's, loose speaker wires, a blown speaker putting it in to protection, there's alot to check. Isolate one thing at a time until you find it. If it's shutting on and off check the power first, put new cable ends on at the battery, fuse block or ground, change the fuse or fuse holder. Make sure the remote turn on wire is good and connection at the deck is good. You can bypass it and run it off your power wire to see if it's working properly.
    Try a new set of rca's, you can just run them temporally from you deck to the amp and see if it solves your problem.
    To check speakers, disconnect them one at a time and see if the problem goes away.
    Makes me think it's a bad connection somewhere because it get worse as you drive it (vibrations).

davis777
    All JL amps shut off a 10 Volts- How old is your battery? Take the battery out of the truck and charge it up, then the alternator should keep it topped off.
    You have to be really carefull installing JL Amps too. I have shorted out 3 450/4 just by touching the power cable to the body of the amp by accident.
    Check for the yellow Low Ohm light- if it is on you have an isssue.
    I bet you just have a weakly charged battery, try charging it up.

Rubths
    I had a similar problem in my Excursion a few weeks after install. Two JL amps and the sub amp would cut out and sometimes take a minute to come back. Checked every blessed thing and finally found the issue after weeks of frustration. Both amps had seperate power wires and fuses from the battery and the sub amp fuse (glass fuse) showed good with a meter but when we pulled it out of the holder it fell apart.