Thread: RTV sealer

Theres about 10 diffrent types, what do you guys use? I think there was Blue RTV, Red Hi-temp rtv, black hi-temp gm replacement RTV, silver, orange, yellow, hot pink or does it really matter?

Jim W
    Ultra Blue by Permatex is all i use.
    Super clean on both sides and a thin smear coat on both halfs.
    It also works great for high build up stuff like intake end seals, without the seals, just sealer.
    There might be something better but I have not seen it yet.
    Be good,Jim

SmokinLowriderSS
    I'm not a big fan of RTV, but it has it's places. Only places I use it is the corners of my oil pan, ends of my intake manifold (per mfr orders) and arround the water passage ports in my intake manifold gaskets, nowhere else. I ususally have Hi-temp Red arround, works anywhere you want. I did use black sealing my tie-down loops and new exh. outlets back on after the hull work of winter. The black edge was a nice accent to the red & silver hull (if you look close enough to see the parting line). While she was upside-down, I did use a gun-tube of clear to seal the hull seam behind/under the rub rail.

SUI-CY-COLE
    It also works great for high build up stuff like intake end seals, without the seals, just sealer.
    Be good,Jim
    ditto....gasgacinch by edelbrock is also great!

GofastRacer
    Theres about 10 diffrent types, what do you guys use? I think there was Blue RTV, Red Hi-temp rtv, black hi-temp gm replacement RTV, silver, orange, yellow, hot pink or does it really matter?
    That's right and there's 10 different type of uses, use the one that applies to the situation!.. Also you don't use a half a tube when it only needs a dab, all it does is end up in the pan and plug up the oil pickup!..

Fiat48
    Be good,Jim
    What he said.
    And clean surfaces with lacquer thinner before applying for proper adhesion. Very important.

I bought both the hi-temp red and ultra blue stuff so i'll just use ultra blue. Thanks.

I bought both the hi-temp red and ultra blue stuff so i'll just use ultra blue. Thanks.
    I've used both with good success. And what Fiat said very important, clean surfaces. RTV don't stick to oil.
    While edelbrock has gasgacinch packaged for them, I don't believe they make it. Very good product, have used it since the 60's. Good traditional auto parts stores carry it as well as Edelbrock. (ok insignificant trivia)...
    And use "marine grade" silicone for sealing things to your hull (such as Boatlife brand). Not gasket sealer or bathtub silicone. It ain't the same chit.

Itsahobby
    X2 on the BoatLife. I used it on my new Mufflers. Works great! And when you need to remove the part, it comes off easier.
    I've used both with good success. And what Fiat said very important, clean surfaces. RTV don't stick to oil.
    While edelbrock has gasgacinch packaged for them, I don't believe they make it. Very good product, have used it since the 60's. Good traditional auto parts stores carry it as well as Edelbrock. (ok insignificant trivia)...
    And use "marine grade" silicone for sealing things to your hull (such as Boatlife brand). Not gasket sealer or bathtub silicone. It ain't the same chit.