Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: complete re gel coat

SmokinLowriderSS
    Has anyone left a boat in the water for a season after spraying the bottom with gel coat?
    www.bowkersfiberglass.com
    Not all season, as I don't live at or store Lowrider at the lake. 4 or 5 days has been done, on repeat occasions, with no harm.

DUCKY
    You're misunderstanding the substance DUCKY.
    I can assure you that I didn't misunderstand. I know what "styrene/wax" is and I know it's applications and limitations. I use it on a daily basis about 9mos out of the year on solid color repairs. In the winter and on cleared repairs I use PVA. I would use it year round, but the surfacing agent is damn near hardened in the can when the temp drops below 60 degrees. Regardless of what "fiberglast's" website says, it is nearly a cardinal sin to add surfacing agent to clear gelcoat in a repair situation. Most of the paraffin wax does float to the top and seal out the air for a better cure, but rest assured that you did not sand it all off. You probably got lucky due to the fact you did the whole bottom and whole sides, but if you simply did a repair on an otherwise perfect boat and mixed in surfacing agent, you would have a cloudy spot that you cannot get rid of without re-spraying. It is not logical to actually beleive that something you mixed in your material will completely disappear.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Duly noted, and understood. I'll keep the PVA in mind in a number of years when I do eventually redo the top. Thx DUCKY.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234