Thread: Pump question

Do you have to replace the bowl gasket every time you take bowl off? and what all will I need to as far as gasket and seals to put different impeller in? I have 12JF pump and A impeller (berk) and want to replace it with another A impeller and ultimate wear ring. Is there some kind of kit that would cover what I want to do?

IMPATIENT 1
    Do you have to replace the bowl gasket every time you take bowl off? and what all will I need to as far as gasket and seals to put different impeller in? I have 12JF pump and A impeller (berk) and want to replace it with another A impeller and ultimate wear ring. Is there some kind of kit that would cover what I want to do?
    JUST BUY THE WHOLE KIT FROM DUANE, ITS LIKE 299.00 FOR COMPLETE OVERHAUL KIT WITH REMAN DETAILED IMPELLOR.I JUST DID IT TO MINE, VERY EASY TO INSTALL! EXCEPT HAVIN TO PULL OUT THE MILL AGAIN, BUT I GOT THAT DOWN TO 30MINUTES NOW.
    YOU DON'T HAVE TO REPLACED THE BOWL GASKET UNLESS ITS SPLIT OR TORN.IF ITS OK, SMEAR ALITTLE SILICONE ON IT TO INSURE SEAL.

JUST BUY THE WHOLE KIT FROM DUANE, ITS LIKE 299.00 FOR COMPLETE OVERHAUL KIT WITH REMAN DETAILED IMPELLOR.I JUST DID IT TO MINE, VERY EASY TO INSTALL! EXCEPT HAVIN TO PULL OUT THE MILL AGAIN, BUT I GOT THAT DOWN TO 30MINUTES NOW.
    YOU DON'T HAVE TO REPLACED THE BOWL GASKET UNLESS ITS SPLIT OR TORN.IF ITS OK, SMEAR ALITTLE SILICONE ON IT TO INSURE SEAL.
    Thank-you for responding so quick. Do you know of that comes with the ultimate wear ring and is that the best wear ring I should go with? I'd call Duane but I'm at work and very impatient LOL.

flat broke
    If you're just looking to replace the impeller and your bowl gasket is fine, just reuse it. However, DO NOT use silicone or you will not be able to use the gasket again if you need to open up the bowl. A thin coat of grease will do fine. If you need silicone to seal the joint between the suction housing and the bowl, something isn't right. The only other thing you may need are some impeller shims, but I don't know how Duane sets up that Ultimate wear ring, so I'll let him answer that.
    Chris

If you're just looking to replace the impeller and your bowl gasket is fine, just reuse it. However, DO NOT use silicone or you will not be able to use the gasket again if you need to open up the bowl. A thin coat of grease will do fine. If you need silicone to seal the joint between the suction housing and the bowl, something isn't right. The only other thing you may need are some impeller shims, but I don't know how Duane sets up that Ultimate wear ring, so I'll let him answer that.
    Chris
    Is it ok to go with a rebuilt impeller or should I go with new? I mean is there really big difference?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    The only other thing you may need are some impeller shims, but I don't know how Duane sets up that Ultimate wear ring, so I'll let him answer that.
    Chris
    Duane says to lock the impeller on the shaft. Then add .005 shims untill the impeller starts to turn.After that add .025-.035 and your done Its time consuming but thats how he told me to do it

IMPATIENT 1
    Thank-you for responding so quick. Do you know of that comes with the ultimate wear ring and is that the best wear ring I should go with? I'd call Duane but I'm at work and very impatient LOL.
    YEP, COMES WITH A ULTIMATE WEARRING. IF THIS IS THE FIRST PUMP YOU'LL BE DOIN, THE ULTI. RING IS ALOT EASIER TO INSTALL AND SET-UP.
    CHECK OUT HIS SITE: HI-TECHPERFORMANCE.COM

IMPATIENT 1
    Is it ok to go with a rebuilt impeller or should I go with new? I mean is there really big difference?
    REBUILT IMP WILL BE ALITTLE LIGHTER.IF YOU'VE GOT THE DOUGH, GO WITH A NEW ONE, I DIDN'T HAVE THE DOUGH AT THE TIME.BUT I'M REALLY HAPPY WITH HOW MY PUMP TURNED OUT!MY HOLESHOT IS AWESOME FOR A HEAVY ASS V-HULL!

SmokinLowriderSS
    Discuss it with Duane, but the one thing you will need to know is if the wear ring surface on the impeller has been turned down any to remove wear marks/damage. If so, an undersize ring will be needed, and is no problem. I really like the UWR, and am on my seccond, after 16 years on the old one. I rebuilt and upgraded to Mag-Bronze for the HP I am soon to be running in future years.