Thread: U-Joint replacement

filthyrat
    This piggybacks on a recent thread, but more specific to u-joints:
    I am sure my u-joints have taken a crap on me, grinding noise in gear that worsens when turning. I have read the seloc (pre-Alpha '82) book, and am relatively prepared to handle this. I live and breathe inside a small block 350, but fortunately do not have to venture into the drive enough to know exactly what I need to get the job done. To replace the joints, do I need to replace the u-joint bellows if not damaged? What special tools do I really need, meaning mercury specific tools? Probably my biggest question is do I need to realign the engine after pulling the outdrive?
    I have been through a couple of how to's on the web, and they seem to say you need to dig a lot deeper and need more special tools to pull the job off. Then again they sell those tools so I may be a marketing ploy.
    What do you guys know? Thanks.

dego red
    I have mine apart waiting on parts. While your in there you may as well change the gimble bearing and all three bellows. The noise you are
    hearing could also be the gimble bearing as it will also make a noise while turning. It is recomended to change the bellows every 2-3 years. You should align every time you remove the drive.
    red