Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should i blow

IT'SONLYMONEY
    i have a 27 advantage with just the 454mag mpi. maybe does 52 and is a little slow out of the whole. thinking about super charging her. i would really like just some bolt on more power without having to change up the whole internals of the engine. some say super chargers and some say blowers. i need something bullet proof, since i don't know much about engines and don't want to have to tweek it every time we go out.
    any help in this matter would be highly appreciated.
    thanks
    chuck

TRUMP TIGHT
    i have a 27 advantage with just the 454mag mpi. maybe does 52 and is a little slow out of the whole. thinking about super charging her. i would really like just some bolt on more power without having to change up the whole internals of the engine. some say super chargers and some say blowers. i need something bullet proof, since i don't know much about engines and don't want to have to tweek it every time we go out.
    any help in this matter would be highly appreciated.
    thanks
    chuck
    Buy a DCB!! You should be able to find one right now!!

BADBLOWN572
    supercharger = blowers. They are the same thing. It is all forced induction down the motor.
    Depending on the # of hours on the motor, you could get away with adding power. I would have the motor first checked out by a mechanic and get his opinion. I would also probably only put 3-4lbs worth of boost into the motor. You will probably spend somewhere between 5-7K for the package and pick up around 10-15mph.

IT'SONLYMONEY
    what do you think about taking it to arizona speed and marine and letting them reprogram the engine. i hear they are the only ones around to trust in doing this.
    i have some connections so i could blow the motor for around 4k parts cost only, no labor. it just seems that there are a lot of blown boats for sale and you can't run them at speed very long because they heat up. i want to be able to go 65 all day and not worry about breaking.
    supercharger = blowers. They are the same thing. It is all forced induction down the motor.
    Depending on the # of hours on the motor, you could get away with adding power. I would have the motor first checked out by a mechanic and get his opinion. I would also probably only put 3-4lbs worth of boost into the motor. You will probably spend somewhere between 5-7K for the package and pick up around 10-15mph.

acatitude
    any sc boats that wont run 65 all day without heating up have a problem... have someone repitable do it and you should be ok............yoou may want 2 upgrade your drive depending on what it is......... I would only add that depending on you, you might be wasting your money with just adding a blower and not upgrading your internals..... once you get a little hp youll prolly want more.... Just a thought guy good luck

IT'SONLYMONEY
    thanks for the info. highly appreciated.
    chuck

Mr Twister
    Boost is addictive :crossx: . Good advise above about getting the motor and drive checked first, but if you are on the conservative side with boost that mag motor should live. There are a few kits that would work without upgrading internals. High octane fuel is also part of the deal.

IT'SONLYMONEY
    i jus have to remind myself why i bought her. for the ride and room not speed. my last commander did around 75 all day. it was fun but not really family orientated. so i'll probably just leave her alone and enjoy the ride.
    thanks every one though
    chuck

jeffroe
    check out PROCHARGER.COM they have a bolt on kit w/intercooler for boats,there is a page on there site that will give you an idea of what speed you'll see after. i have had many roots type blowers and 2 prochargers and i like the low drag (hp used to turn the blower) and compact design of the procharger good company too. my 2 cents

Warp Factor
    check out PROCHARGER.COM they have a bolt on kit w/intercooler for boats,there is a page on there site that will give you an idea of what speed you'll see after. i have had many roots type blowers and 2 prochargers and i like the low drag (hp used to turn the blower) and compact design of the procharger good company too. my 2 cents
    Be careful of centrifugal blowers if you have a prop boat. They're fine for jets, but many prop boats (mine for example) require about 3 pounds boost @1500 to get up on plane. A centrifugal won't do this.
    I also disagree with Procharger being a good company. Try calling them and getting tech information before ordering. I think it will be an eye opener.
    In the Corvette world (they make Corvette kits), they have a pretty bad customer service reputation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast