Thread: Stainless or Steel

MohaveChuck
    I am propped out.
    So I paid a visit to Dallas at Menkins today and to make a steel prop 10 days to 2 weeks. Stainless prop would be 8 to 10 weeks!! Thats the end of Sept! $100 more on top of a lot of $$$. I am a little shocked at the price to be honest.
    Do I need Stainless?
    Is it really good for 2mph?
    Here are the numbers:
    1973 Spectra 20 daycruiser, 454 with about 50 hrs, forged internals, hyd roller valve train, 800cfm Holley, lightning headers. Super stock engine builder on the boards here built it last year and says I can run it to 6500 RPM, I just want 6000. Hopefully 450 to 500HP. Velvet drive and Champion V-drive with 4% overdrive. Slight hook in hull. (probably get that fixed this winter) Dallas measured the old Bronze type 3 blade prop to be 12 1/4 X 15 3/4 (includes cup). He thinks about 11 1/4 X 15 should do it.
    5400 RPM is max right now at 58.5MPH GPS. This was before when I had the old log manifolds and 750CFM Vacuum secondary Holley AND the same after I added the Lightnings and the 800CFM Mechanical Holley :cry: . So everyone is telling me I am propped out since after adding 50 to 100hp did nothing for my RPM or Speed.
    Chuck

VD CRUISER
    I use a Dallas made 3 blade steel on my 21' Howard , same hull as yours. I have used the stainless also, but never have taken one off and changed to the other to get a good comparison on the speed. I don't think there is much difference in the two. The steel is stronger but the stainless stays rust free. Maybe you should try a 11 1/2" dia. with the low gearing you have, you can always have it cut down if need be. Get rid of that hook and don't turn that bronze prop any more than your are turning it now, they will break.

revndave
    I run a 11.5x15 2 blade 4130 heat treated steel in my 21 Schiada.Call Ron Braskma
    http://www.rbprops.com/index.html

MohaveChuck
    VD,
    Do you think I should get rid of the hook first? Will it make much difference in the slip? Would I then have to be looking for another prop?
    Thanks for the link Rev.
    I should stick with a 3 blade right? From what I understand a two blade will give me too much vibration, and I want an all around prop for skiing etc.. I just want to get into the mid 60's for speed.

revndave
    VD,
    Do you think I should get rid of the hook first? Will it make much difference in the slip? Would I then have to be looking for another prop?
    Thanks for the link Rev.
    I should stick with a 3 blade right? From what I understand a two blade will give me too much vibration, and I want an all around prop for skiing etc.. I just want to get into the mid 60's for speed.
    I only get vibration coming on plane.Then it goes away.

VD CRUISER
    At that speed the hook may not be a problem. however when trying to go 70 + it is best to get rid of it so the boat will run a little free'er. The 3 blade will be smoother for sure. The 2 blade is needed more for higher speeds.

Marty Gras
    Boat is too heavy for an 11 1/4" prop, not enough surface area. 11 1/2" X 16 SS three blade with the "full radious cup". I also would look at the motor, you were getting only 5400RPMs with over 25% slip and low (4%) gears. The low gears will put a lot of torque to the prop, you need to hook it up. I've spun the Menkens SS (3 blade) props well over 10750 RPMs with no failures.