Thread: Air conditioning questions

Chubby4Life
    The wife and I recently purchased a home that isn't complete. We are considering removing the original duct-work and installing the mini-duct pressurized system. My questions are, Does anyone use this system, How much does it cost and what are the pros and cons?
    Chris

Mandelon
    If not done right they can whistle, since they are higher pressure. The advantages are that the ducts are smaller and can be put in exactly the right locations.
    They are great for remodeling projects due to their small size and ease of flexing into small preexisting locations. On a new house...with the walls open.....I don't know if it would be worth it.....

Chubby4Life
    Mandelon, the problem is that all the current duct-work runs through the basement ceiling. We plan to "finish" the basement, but to do so would require a suspended ceiling thus making the height around 7'.
    Chris

slowinhavasu
    They are supposed to be the latest and greatest, I have yet to see one in the field here in Havasu or anywhere else.
    I'm a firm believer in a properly sized and ducted system with a 13 SEER or above system works great. The new 16 SEER and above dual compressor systems work awsome, I have had GREAT feed back from my clients, there bills are way lower and there comfort level is muched improved.
    The biggest problem here in Havasu is the lack of return air grills located in different parts of the house. I am currently adding another in our guest bedroom during it's remodel. That will bring our total to four, in a 1600 sq.ft home. The temperature is the same in every room from one end of the house to the other.
    I have a good friend in the Sacramento area that may be able to help you out, let me know if he can help.

Mandelon
    Mandelon, the problem is that all the current duct-work runs through the basement ceiling. We plan to "finish" the basement, but to do so would require a suspended ceiling thus making the height around 7'.
    Chris
    Well would the smaller ducts work then? You can get rectangular ducting that is not as tall as the round style. How about just building a soffit at one end of the room and running all the ducts through it? Then only a portion of the lid would have to be lower.

slowinhavasu
    Well would the smaller ducts work then? You can get rectangular ducting that is not as tall as the round style. How about just building a soffit at one end of the room and running all the ducts through it? Then only a portion of the lid would have to be lower.
    HEY, don't be logical, it doesn't go over well here....lol

riverroyal
    dont get all commercial building on us now,,,ha...Ive seen and put duct work in places youd never know unless you were there during construction....Measure up what will fit in the space needed,then calc the sq footage,get your CFM chart out,then have a sheetmetal shop give you a quote on building the duct work custom,,aww forget it,just hire a pro

doesitfloat?
    I'm a general contractor and was looking into these "mini" duct systems last year. When I asked my HVAC sub (a very good and knowledgable sub) if he had any experience with them he said, "yeah, about 4 or 5 times". I said, "Oh, then you like them?" He said, "Hell no, I was brought in to make them work right all 5 times. Ultimately, we ripped them all out and installed conventional systems."
    He explained that the whistling is a problem, that they are difficult, if not impossible to balance, and that they create too much air turbulence which often times is felt as a draft.
    I'd avoid them.