Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can Cat's Blow Over?

SummerBreeze
    I took a test drive in a few cats this weekend. We were doing about 80 and hit some rollers and got the cat out of the water a few feet. You could feel the air get under it and lift off. Didn't know but can the cat blow over??

Phat_Kat
    Like dave said! The fact is that a Vee is a lot less prone to it than a tunnel though.

HavasuDreamin'
    Short answer......... yes.
    Long answer, it depends on how big it is. The bigger it is, the more likely the back end will hit the water before it goes completely over. This is bad because the next action will be the front end going in the drink (called stuffing it). Drivers (& Passengers) usually die when a boat is stuffed. frown

riverliver
    RiverDave:
    Anything can blow over..
    RD Im glad to hear that !!!
    Some things should blow over. wink

Boozer
    HavasuDreamin':
    Short answer......... yes.
    Long answer, it depends on how big it is. The bigger it is, the more likely the back end will hit the water before it goes completely over. This is bad because the next action will be the front end going in the drink (called stuffing it). Drivers (& Passengers) usually die when a boat is stuffed. Sounds scary. Almost sounds like one of those things you try intentionally just to see if you can do it and say you lived through it though.
    What causes this to happen? Launching a wake? To much chop?
    I launch wakes and chop in my V on a regular basis and do it intentionally. Should I not do that anymore if I get a cat?

SummerBreeze
    I have not spent much time in cats. They have a very different feel. They should because they are. I may not have spent enough time to say but I got a little excited when the front when to the sky and it lifted off. The driver chopped the gas and the nose hit first. Everyone in the boat was jolted forward. It may have only been a few feet off the water. My V bottem has never felt like that but it doesn't do 80...

Havasu Hangin'
    I've lost the horizon at 100MPH in a 26' cat.
    Usually it's when I pass out from drinking, but not this time.
    I've also been in a 22' cat at 96MPH when the stern started walking sideways.
    I gotta order that Lifeline...
    [ July 01, 2003, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

HavasuDreamin'
    Boozer:
    Sounds scary. It is.
    Boozer
    Almost sounds like one of those things you try intentionally just to see if you can do it and say you lived through it though. [/QB]Not unless you are really dumb with a capital D.
    Boozer
    What causes this to happen? Launching a wake? To much chop?[/QB]There are lots of variables that can cause a tunnel to stuff. Weight distribution with to much weight on the transom. Not going quite fast enough to blow it over completely and it comes down ass first. A succession of waves where the first wave sends the nose sky high, but the rear doesn't clear the wave...hits it and tosses the nose down (called tripping). Many other variables. Those are the most common.

HavasuDreamin'
    SummerBreeze:
    I got a little excited when the front went to the sky and it lifted off. The driver chopped the gas and the nose hit first. Everyone in the boat was jolted forward. Those are the characteristics of stuffing a boat. Except it is MUCH MORE VIOLENT when the nose actually digs in the water and you go from 100 mph to 0 in about 50 feet. eek! frown

bigq
    I would say a cat can blow over a lot easier than a V. That is the purpose of the bottom to pack the air. The hull will create lift and feel flighty. I was told this is one of the reasons the insurance is so expensive, along with theft. I had a cal performance "gull wing" that packed air in the front part, not like a cat, but it was flighty.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast