Thread: Standoff box

buzzaro
    What do they do, advantages/disadvantages? Ive seen them but not sure what they are for other than they are usually on high perf. boats.

JustDawn
    ....I have a stand off box on my 25 ft. V-bottom,After having the exact same hull w/out a Stand off box...I can tell you from experience that there are many benefits.
    Prop sits back further,which puts it in cleaner water(less disturbance)
    Raised X-dimension(SPEED)
    I spin a labbed 32p Bravo1,and she rolls onto plane with 4 adults,cooler,full fuel... instantly...
    I was also told that the shaft in the box actually absorbs some of the torque from the motor...I have a blown 510(650hp),and a standard XZ drive...and have had no issues with the drive holding up...
    I think they make HUGE difference.(PlayDeep)

Havasu Hangin'
    Raised X-dimension(SPEED)
    Boxes that raise the x-dimension will require you to raise your motor to get the shafts to line up.
    Also, with the prop farther back off the transom, it will sit deeper in the water, so you'll need to raise the motor and/or put a shorty on it to get your prop height back to where it was without the box (in relation to the bottom of the boat).

buzzaro
    So basically, the standoff box gives improved thrust geometry? (not sure if thats right, but I felt smarter just typing it )
    Also while ive got you guys in here....Ive asked this before but no one replied :cry: , how are cleaver props different from the standard type props (other than blade shape)?

Havasu Hangin'
    So basically, the standoff box gives improved thrust geometry? (not sure if thats right, but I felt smarter just typing it )
    Yep. Basically, with the prop farther off the transom, any trim will have more leverage to carry the nose.
    Also while ive got you guys in here....Ive asked this before but no one replied :cry: , how are cleaver props different from the standard type props (other than blade shape)?
    The shape of the prop affects how the prop twists through the water. Most modern props have blade designs that vary the pitch from the leading to the trailing edge (they do this to minimize cavitation).
    One side effect is that as the prop pushes water rearward, it will also want to twist a little...depending on the blade design. In general, round-ear props will have more bow lift (want to twist "upward") and cleavers will have more stern-lift (want to twist "downward").
    That's my (non-expert) understanding, anyway.

JustDawn
    ....I was fortunate in that...My boat was built by the original owner as a collaboration between WPM(Steering,Stand-off box),Bassett Headers and Performance Offshore,in order to try some different things on a Stepped-V bottom...
    I learned my lesson a LONG time ago,about buying a boat and then trying to add everything after the fact...in order to make it go faster .
    It's a lot less stressful...and less expensive to do it from the getgo and just leave it to those who actually know what they are doing...
    I am a firm believer in letting the Pro's do all of the initial R&D work....
    I know a guy on the boards,who was having a boat built...he wanted some extra speed and asked the builder to raise the x-dimension slightly.
    The builder said they could not do it(Some lame excuse about exhaust angle)so he ended up buying an IMCO shorty,spends an extra $2200.00 bucks,when a more experienced(these guys didn't do high perf. v's)builder could have done the job and saved the guy the extra expense....(PlayDeep)

buzzaro
    ....I was fortunate in that...My boat was built by the original owner as a collaboration between WPM(Steering,Stand-off box),Bassett Headers and Performance Offshore,in order to try some different things on a Stepped-V bottom...
    I learned my lesson a LONG time ago,about buying a boat and then trying to add everything after the fact...in order to make it go faster .
    It's a lot less stressful...and less expensive to do it from the getgo and just leave it to those who actually know what they are doing...
    I know a guy on the boards,who was having a boat built...he wanted some extra speed and asked the builder to raise the x-dimension slightly.
    The builder said they could not do it(Some lame excuse about exhaust angle)so he ended up buying an IMCO shorty,spends an extra $2200.00 bucks,when a more experienced(these guys didn't do high perf. v's)builder could have done the job and saved the guy the extra expense....(PlayDeep)
    I believe you are correct in building it the way you want rather than try to fix it later. I learned this just while looking to purchase our first boat. I had thought about buying a semi-affordable boat and then adding a blower to it later, but just the research of how to do it, what will and wont work, and what will break if it does happen to work, what it costs to make other stuff not break after the first thing happened to work.......just typing that is a pain, much less actually trying it out on a boat. This isnt something Im considering doing to my boat I am just curious as to what some of these things do, much of it is still new to me.

THOR
    You still have the blown 25 Eagle?

JustDawn
    You still have the blown 25 Eagle?
    I do...
    My wife loves the thing,I have been really lucky,it's been turn-key stupid proof
    Still got your Ultra?(Good looking boat by the way) PlayDeep.