Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BBC Oiling ?

1stepcloser
    I have a concern about my motor.
    Recently I did a mild make over on motor, it started out as a 95 454 "magnum".
    I replaced the cam, lifters, pushrods and rockers with crane equipment.
    The stock mercruiser oil filter adapter was replaced with a Rex billet adapter and all stainless lines, the stock oil cooler was replaced with a larger unit.
    The distributor was replaced also.
    The bottom end was left stock.
    The heads, intake and carb were also replaced, but I dont think thats relative to this problem.
    Heres the problem.
    Prior to the change, the engine would produce approx. 30-35 PSI oil pressure at idle, and approx. 55-60 PSI above idle. Seems normal.
    After the parts change, I ran a pre-oiler and the pressure was at 60 PSI. (the drill ran approx. 1100 RPM.) but I noticed that there was very little oil coming out of the pushrods, and after about 5 minutes, there was still no oil to the front few rockers.
    I installed the motor and ran it up to break in the cam, all went well, motor runs good, but has 60 PSI oil pressure all the time.
    I removed the valve covers to recheck lifter preload, and noticed very little oil was in the head. Concerned, I again ran the pre-oiler, and, again it produced 60 PSI but with very little volume to the top end, and it seems to take forever to get there.
    I replaced the gauge and the sender, no change.
    The pressure is being read from the point at the rear of the block to the left of the distrbutor.
    I installed a mechanical test gauge, and it read 57 psi with the pre-oiler running about 1100 RPM.
    I wil note that after the pre-oiler is run, it is absolutely covered in oil.
    It seems as though there is a restriction preventing oil through to the lifter bores.
    I remember back on early 396 blocks, when replacing the cam, it had to have a oiling groove either the rear cam bearing or the journal of the cam.
    I checked tho original cam, it does not have a groove, nor did the Crane unit I replaced it with.
    This is my first experience with the Mark 5 block, and as I understand it, it does not require any special mods when replacing cams.
    Any ideas??
    P.S. I noticed that this block is reffered to as a "priority main" oiling system. I cannot find any oiling diagram explaining this.
    Help.

Infomaniac
    Maybe your preoiler does not seal off well enough to let oil by.
    The lifters may not have enough clearance
    Restricters are installed?

1stepcloser
    Infomaniac:
    Maybe your preoiler does not seal off well enough to let oil by.Seal off where? If you're reffering to the galley transfer area, I considered that, and as a matter of precaution, used the mercruiser distributor with the cam gear removed as a preoiler, and had no better luck.
    The lifters may not have enough clearanceClearance where?
    Restricters are installed? No, there are no restrictors installed.
    [ February 03, 2003, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: 1stepcloser ]

Blown 472
    One of my friends had the same problem, never did figure it out, he sold the parts as is.

Infomaniac
    If the lifters are too tight in the bores, they will not let oil past to the next lifter.
    Take the lifters out, run the prelube tool and look at the oil going into the rear lifter bore. Put them in one by one starting at the back. You can see if oil is getting past each one.
    [ February 03, 2003, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Blown 472
    Infomaniac:
    If the lifters are too tight in the bores, they will not let oil past to the next lifter.
    Take the lifters out, run the prelube tool and look at the oil going into the rear lifter bore. Put them in one by one starting at the back. You can see if oil is getting past each one. Dont the lifters have some what of a groove around them to let oil past?

Infomaniac
    Some do and some don't.

Blown 472
    The chevy has a passage at the back of the block to get oil from one side of the lifter galley to to the other around the dist, right???

1stepcloser
    They're Crane's "Anti pump-up" pieces. I compared them to the originals, they looked identical.

Blown 472
    Did you pull any galley plugs and look from on end of the block to the other with the lifters out??, maybe there is massive leak prior to getting to the end were the oil is not?? maybe the lifter prior to them are too loose and bypassing the oil back to the pan??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast