Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower Unit, Drive or Motor??

RED FIVE O
    Alright let me try this again. I'm new to the boards here. I'm taking a look at a 1978 Sea Ray 190. It's got a Ford 302 with an OMC drive. It was on the lake Saturday when it started hesitating then quite.
    Now it won't start. Battery is good so I put a socket and breaker bar on the crank and you can only turn it a little bit either way then it stops hard. At first I was thinking it was the motor but then I checked the prop and you can spin it whether it's in neutral or in gear and I'm not sure that it should.
    So what do you all think is the matter with this boat? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wet Dream
    Pull the plugs and remove the compression from the motor, and try it. That might give you enough room to move the crank and see where its binding. Can someone see the front and rear of the crank at the same time? are you getting a "knock" when turning it by wrench? Is the knock inside the motor or the drive?

Daytona100
    After you pull the plugs and check to see if it turns over pull the drive off and check again. Your probably gonna have to anyways.

RED FIVE O
    OK please forgive my ignorance when it comes to boats. I didn't know that you had to have the power tilt down to engage the prop. When the tilt is down and it's in gear the prop will spin one way but not the other. Same in reverse except it spins the other way. Does this mean it's the motor then?

rerfert
    OK please forgive my ignorance when it comes to boats. I didn't know that you had to have the power tilt down to engage the prop. When the tilt is down and it's in gear the prop will spin one way but not the other. Same in reverse except it spins the other way. Does this mean it's the motor then?
    Drive sounds right.
    With the drive in neutral...pull the spark plugs and turn the crank nut (GO EASY you could have pistons hitting valves)
    Hows the motor oil level ?? (might have locked up a rod bearing)

RED FIVE O
    The oil is full. I talked to someone else who was on the boat when it quit. They said it started running rough like it was missing before it stopped running. It's starting to sound more and more like a motor.

502 JET
    Did you pull the spark plugs out yet?An engine of that age may have rotted out exhaust manifolds or risers.When they go bad the engine will run rough first then fill with water then lock up and not turn.If this happened hopfully there is no other internal damage like bent rods.

RED FIVE O
    OK plugs are plulled and they show no signs of damage. There was no water in the cylinders and the motor still will not turn more then a little bit either way.
    If you turn it you can hear a noise when it stops behind the motor but it's not very loud. The motor sounds quite. Is there some way that the drive can lock up and allow the prop to turn but not the motor?
    I talked to a guy at a boat repair place near here and he swears it's the lower unit. Can this be when the propr seems to work properly when you shift it?

Paulie
    If you need any parts for that set up we have tins of used parts for that set up or if you have any questions give us a call 619-229-0600

Daytona100
    OK plugs are plulled and they show no signs of damage. There was no water in the cylinders and the motor still will not turn more then a little bit either way.
    If you turn it you can hear a noise when it stops behind the motor but it's not very loud. The motor sounds quite. Is there some way that the drive can lock up and allow the prop to turn but not the motor?
    I talked to a guy at a boat repair place near here and he swears it's the lower unit. Can this be when the propr seems to work properly when you shift it?
    Pull the drive and see what happens. Probably time to lube everything anyways.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast