Thread: Wear ring???

What's the best wear ring out there? Is the Ultimate wear ring better then a Brass sholdered wear ring? I guess which one would last longer? My guess would be the metal. I need help.

IMPATIENT 1
    I've Used And Installed Most Kinds And I Think The Ultimate Ring Is The Best, Just My Opinion, I'm Sure You'll Get Alot Of Others.they're Easy To Installed And Clearance.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Depends on what you want to do with it.
    If you want to run it in the driveway on a hose, the UWR will last precisely 1/2 of the time you will run it, and it's melted garbage from the friction.
    If you want to run shallow rivers and have it survive a lot of sand and gravel ingestion, probably bronze against a steel impeller. The UWR is self-healing of minor sand damage, but I don't know just how much it'll survive being a very tough urethane rubber compound.
    Run a bunch of sand thru on a bronze wear ring against an ALUMINUM impeller, and the wear ring will last beautifully (the impeller tho .......... :cry: ) Don't ask just how I know this. :yuk:
    For general wet running without trying to suck the bottom solids thru, I think the UWR provides the tightest seal to the impeller possible, drags less on the impeller when wet, as said before, will tolerate a pretty good deal of debris damage with no performance loss.
    A bunch of successful drag racers are running it as well, in high-HP/pressure setups, and are happy.
    There is no liner to get squeezed out as I have heard of on here from some big-muscle aplications, it likes big HP just fine.
    I ran my last one about 16 years,and never had an RPM gain due to impeller wear ring clearance growth. I did always run it in lakes tho and tried hard to stay off the bottom. It was over 200 hours by my best estimations. I only replaced it when rebuilding to a stronger impeller to deal with motor upgrades being worked, and replaced it with another UWR.

I live in Shawano, Wi. and mainly go on Shawano lake which is pretty shallow and full of weeds. I'm guessing the avg. depth is about 8' to 12' with some spots 3' to 4' deep. So the Ultimate would not be best choice then? Is that correct?

SmokinLowriderSS
    I actually think it's be fine there, but if you PM DuaneHTP here on the boards, you will speak to the expert/inventor. 316-794-8616 <-- Hi-Tech Performance business # from his website.
    http://hi-techperformance.com/

460 jus getn it
    Ultimate Ring is the only way to go................................................ ........

TJS
    Ultimate Ring is the only way to go................................................ ........
    Same here too. Not only for the product, the service is the best as well.
    T.J.

wet77
    4trax I run the WI river in Stevens Point WI and am using the inducer and ultimate wear ring from HTP. It works great and Duane has been great to deal with.
    There are lots of shallow spots on the river but no matter what you put in your pump for wear ring stay out of the sand and rocks there is no wear ring out there that likes to get sand blasted!
    The weeds will give you greif too watch your engine temps to make sure you dont suck any up and clog up your cooling.
    But all in all I would go with Duane at HTP he has been very helpful and everything he has had me try on my boat has only made it better.

4trax I run the WI river in Stevens Point WI and am using the inducer and ultimate wear ring from HTP. It works great and Duane has been great to deal with.
    There are lots of shallow spots on the river but no matter what you put in your pump for wear ring stay out of the sand and rocks there is no wear ring out there that likes to get sand blasted!
    The weeds will give you greif too watch your engine temps to make sure you dont suck any up and clog up your cooling.
    But all in all I would go with Duane at HTP he has been very helpful and everything he has had me try on my boat has only made it better.
    If I do clog up my cooling how do unclog it? The weeds are bad on Shawano Lake. and there is several times that I have to take off(or start out) pulling the kids on tube in 4' water how far down will a jet suck.