Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it true MAGIC MOUNTAIN IS CLOSING for good?

VanDeano
    I just heard this might be the last weekend to go to Magic Mountain before it is tore down for new homes to be built.

a catered life
    the story as i hear it is that the park and land is up for sale and if the new owner wants to operate it as theme park they can or they can sell off the land for developement.......this cant be good for the tourist locations, hotels, and restaurants that make their money off that park.

VanDeano
    You would think new homes would bring more money. Isn't the park closed during the winter like 3 or 4 months and then its only open on weekends. I thought the only time it is open 7 days a week is during summer when school is out. I went there last year and I was only expecting to ride a couple rides do to the lines. How I was mistaken there were absolutely no one in line until almost noon time. Let me tell you one thing, the last time I was there I was about 15 years old, now that Im 40, those ride beat the living sheot out of me. :cry: I was sore for a week. I have to admit some of those rides scared the sheot out of me. :2purples: It has been awhile since something did that to me. That isn't counting waking up to my wife. That still scares me. :2purples:

RitcheyRch
    Thats the story I have heard as well. We can only hope that another owner decides to operate it and not tear it down and build more homes.
    They said attendance is down and blame that on all the gang violence over the years.
    IMO, they should make it more of a family park with less of the huge roller coasters.
    the story as i hear it is that the park and land is up for sale and if the new owner wants to operate it as theme park they can or they can sell off the land for developement.......this cant be good for the tourist locations, hotels, and restaurants that make their money off that park.

flat broke
    Take away the huge roller coasters and make it a family park? Then you'd have a watered down version of Disneyland that would definitely fold. The #1 problem with that place is the fricking lowlifes that go there as mentioned in a previous post. I went with my brother a couple months ago on a private company night, and the only way I would go back was during a similar scenario. People will get pissed and call me a biggot, but whatever; during normal hours that park is choped full of dirty mexican gangbanger types, as well as a bunch of 50cent wannabes thinking they are tough shit. Definitely not an envrionment I would pay to experience, especially with my wife and baby. The numerous violent incidents there only reinforce the fact that the patrons are the reason the park is hurting for business.
    It would be a shame to lose the big coasters here in So Cal, but I'm sure Valencia wouldn't think twice about taking the property tax revenues of the houses that could be built on the land over the current slice of the pie it sees from taxes on Magic Mountain.
    Chris

JetBoatRich
    It has been a long time since I was there, as the others mentioned the crowd that was there was very undesirable.
    I would hate to see it go since we have been going there since the 70's with all the new roller coasters, I was looking forward to hitting it some time in the future

RitcheyRch
    Agree, the only way to enjoy the park is during private parties. The company I work for had one a few months ago as well. I didnt go but my sister went and said it was nice. I dont think they should take away all the huge roller coasters but need to get more kid friendly type of rides. The roller coasters seem to only appeal to the teenager and mid 20's crowd. Again, IMHO.
    I hope they dont sell and build more freaking houses. The infrastructure here can not take more homes, cars and people.
    Take away the huge roller coasters and make it a family park? Then you'd have a watered down version of Disneyland that would definitely fold. The #1 problem with that place is the fricking lowlifes that go there as mentioned in a previous post. I went with my brother a couple months ago on a private company night, and the only way I would go back was during a similar scenario. People will get pissed and call me a biggot, but whatever; during normal hours that park is choped full of dirty mexican gangbanger types, as well as a bunch of 50cent wannabes thinking they are tough shit. Definitely not an envrionment I would pay to experience, especially with my wife and baby. The numerous violent incidents there only reinforce the fact that the patrons are the reason the park is hurting for business.
    It would be a shame to lose the big coasters here in So Cal, but I'm sure Valencia wouldn't think twice about taking the property tax revenues of the houses that could be built on the land over the current slice of the pie it sees from taxes on Magic Mountain.
    Chris

Sherpa
    the last time I went was around 1980........... Rode Collosus-sp-?
    backwards quite a few times............ the crowds looked fine back then...
    its a shame to see it go.......... and those hotel, quicky market, gas stations,
    and restuarants might get hurt for awhile, but after contruction of what,
    5-600 houses, they'll all do just fine.
    --Sherpa

It's Only Money
    Hopefull they will take the idiot Dan with them when they fade to oblivion.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast