Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Doggie seizures.....

bunny 166
    :cry: Oh my gosh you guys, Skylar has been having seizures and Friday night she had a Grand mal, with full blown thrashing, peeing, howling, frothing at the mouth and everything...I thought she was going to die. The kids were crying and there was nothing I could do except keep her from hitting her head on the wall...Anyone else's dogs have these? The vet is putting her on Phenobarbitol(sp) now for the rest of her life...anyone have complications from this medication? Did it help your dogs? Any info and other experiences would help...Thanks...C
    Here's our lil' doggie girl Skylar with our son Brett
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...66IMG_1643.JPG

topless
    Yes and it is scary to watch them seize. My dog was put on the same stuff with no problems. The last seizure she had made her have a stroke and I thought I was going to have to put her to sleep. She is fine now though.

Phat Matt
    That stuff works good. The hard part was having to give it twice a day. You have to plan around it.

Mrs.HLB
    Sorry to hear about your doggie.. hope she will be ok. We had a male siberian husky that was on phenobarbitol. 2 a day. We put the pill in a hot dog and gave it to him that way. One in the morning and one at night. He was better with the med. But every once in a while he would have a small seizure. He never really did have a grad mal or very large seizures that we knew of. We had to put him down in 2004, the vet said he may have cancer in his stomach.Was not eating or keeping anything down. It was awful! He was 13. :cry: I don't know if that had to do with the meds. It sucks.. now I am paranoid when I watch my german shephard. Praying she doesn't have seizures or anything for that matter... good luck to you guys.
    Mr.HLB

SHAKEN Not Stirred
    Ugh!....
    My daughter was on Phenobarbitol for the first year of her life.....
    It destroys gross & fine motor skills after some time.....
    Not that I know if a dog has any fine motor skills or not....
    Not the most passionate drug.....
    Good luck with her Cindy....
    Later,
    CJG
    :frown:

victorfb
    the dissorientation that follows the seisures is almost as difficult to watch and deal with. also know that the meds take up to a couple weeks to start working. so if you see small seizures and or the dissorientation, dont fret, the meds will begin to work. its very common for older dogs to be struck with this, but not to say younger dogs dont get it too. (most likely epilepsy). im sorry to hear about it but just know its not as uncommon as you might think. one of the burdons of pet ownership since the lifespans dont equal that of humans. its good you were concerned and responsible to take him/her to a vet and get treated. the sooner the better. as mentioned the seizues can cause complications and stroke. sounds like you did good and we are all hoping for a full recovery and happy long life.
    BTW... Awsome pic....

ROZ
    Mom's dog went through the same thing for about 6 years.. After the doses of phenobarb were enough to kill a human, she had tests done to check the status of the dog's liver and decided to put him down after hearing the results. The dog was about 11 years old at time of death. He was a good campanion and is still missed to this day
    Goodluck Mrs. bunny, it seems that they were worse when the weather was really hot and muggy for some reason...

Family Jewell
    Sorry to hear about your dog. Be thankful you were there to help him through it. We have a doxie that is on phenobarbital for seizures. He still has a small seizure once in a while. I can't tell you what will cause it but we just hold him until it passes. We give the phenobarb with the dogs meal twice a day and have had the doseage levels checked twice. So far so good. Other than that he lives a very normal life. Good Luck !

78Eliminator
    I adopted my dog, Ziggy and shortly after I found out that he had seizures about once a month. After having him about 2 years, he finally had a very long seizure and at the end he passed away. Enjoy the time you have with your dog while he is still here. I am still broken up about the loss of my dog Ziggy.

pixilatedpussy
    :cry: Oh my gosh you guys, Skylar has been having seizures and Friday night she had a Grand mal, with full blown thrashing, peeing, howling, frothing at the mouth and everything...I thought she was going to die. The kids were crying and there was nothing I could do except keep her from hitting her head on the wall...Anyone else's dogs have these? The vet is putting her on Phenobarbitol(sp) now for the rest of her life...anyone have complications from this medication? Did it help your dogs? Any info and other experiences would help...Thanks...C
    Here's our lil' doggie girl Skylar with our son Brett
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...66IMG_1643.JPG
    Pretty common hun. My old dog used to have them all the time. Lynne & Kathy have been dealing with Sophie having seizures for sometime now. How old is Sky now? It seems to happen when they are getting old. Good luck.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast