Thread: Hot Engine Help

aarjones
    I have a pluming question. I have a rebuild 350SBC it has about 350HP. To my knowledge the motor should be fine it ran on the dino fine and I don’t see are hear anything wrong with it. The motor is running hot when it is running in my drive way. I checked my impellor and it is fine. The water is sucked up from the pick up than goes to the v drive it splits than goes into the Nicson “water jacketed exhaust logs” for a pre-heat than into the water plugs on the Block than out the thermostat housing (not thermo installed) and back into the exhaust and out. The temp gauge is pegging out at about 250. What could be some problems? I am suspicious of my exhaust logs they had a crack in them that some one repaired. I did notice that my oil was getting a bit milky. Could this be the problem? I made sure I had good pressure coming out of each section of hose so that’s why I am not sure if they are cracked. Okay that is a whole lot. I have you all confused. Bottom line is I need help and I don’t’ know who to ask. Please help my boat see water. I have had it for seven years since I was 18 and I have never put it in the water.
    :cry:

superdave013
    don't go though the v drive first. you will never get enough water though a v drive to cool an engine.

mouzer
    My neighbor down the street is haveing the exact same problem!!! :idea:

mouzer
    don't go though the v drive first. you will never get enough water though a v drive to cool an engine.THERE YA GO!!

aarjones
    This is an old top loader Casale. The top is mean to split the motor to go into the engine. I don't think that is the problem but it could be. Has anyone ever had this problem on an old square top loader?

aarjones
    Mozer thanks for the help this weekend

GofastRacer
    This is an old top loader Casale. The top is mean to split the motor to go into the engine. I don't think that is the problem but it could be. Has anyone ever had this problem on an old square top loader?
    It most certainly is the problem, don't matter if it's a top loader or split case you "NEVER" run the water thru the v-drive first!.. Use a small pickup by the v-drive to feed it and dump it in the shaftlog. The motor is separate, from the pump you go to the logs then to the motor, then dump to the elbows or the OT's, whatever you have!..

aarjones
    THank you for the input....I think i see the light. Okay so where do i dump the water after it comes out of the vdrive.....is it into the same spot on the elbows (i have through transom) that the motor dumps into?

mouzer
    Put a pick up next to your v-drive,water into v-drive,water out of v-drive than into your shaft log.walk down here when ya get home! i found a pic w/water hook up to a v-drive!

GofastRacer
    Okay so where do i dump the water after it comes out of the vdrive..
    As I said before, into the shaftlog!.. Check the other board!..