Thread: fuel pump question

Goober
    I realy dont like the idea of a mechanical pump but i am looking at a boat with one. I just dont like how u have to pump the pump up so u can get gas to the carb. If i get the boat i want to swap to a electirc and still keep the mechanical
    in line as a back up. Is this posible or am i just pissing in the wind and just need to do one or the other.
    P.S. how much do u think it would cost to do the swap.

ONAROLL
    Hey Goob,
    Based solely on that post, dont touch a thing....you will be happier in the long run...........Vic :cry:

Goober
    Hey Goob,
    Based solely on that post, dont touch a thing....you will be happier in the long run...........Vic :cry:
    Ok man.

SmokinLowriderSS
    You'll need an elec fuel pump, a power relay, 2 fuel line tees, a bypass regulator, and about 10' of fuel line to plumb the elec PARALELL to the mech (not in front of it but beside it as a dual-feed setup). Cost depends on how good (or expensive) parts you buy.
    Then, about 3 or 4 years later you replace the elec while the mech runs about 20+.
    I'd leve it alone.

Goober
    i am staying with the mech pump.

Panic Button
    There is a reason the carb are losing fuel from the bowls. Sounds like a leak some where. Mine can sit for weeks and fire right up. You'll get 2 years max with electric pumps, the heat kills them.

don johnson
    You'll get 2 years max with electric pumps, the heat kills them.
    That is not necessarily true. I run Barry Grant pumps with the deadhead valve which recirculates fuel back to the tank. Mine have many years on them. Boat is kept at the river. There are advantages to an electric pump depending on the application.

SmokinLowriderSS
    That is not necessarily true. I run Barry Grant pumps with the deadhead valve which recirculates fuel back to the tank. Mine have many years on them. Boat is kept at the river. There are advantages to an electric pump depending on the application.
    Not to smack at anyone, but I think the majority of the pump failure threads I have seen on here (so I extrapolate to "most, period") are from improper instalation due to misunderstanding what the pump needs by design. Most of the ones I have seen need to be bypassed with a return to the tank, and so many failures are from being dead-headed instead (mistake).