Thread: 496 Mag Riser Polising??

davis777
    Anyone know where I can have my stock black 496Mag Exhuast Risers Polised?? Roughly how much would that set me back?
    Thanks.,
    R-

shadow
    Anyone know where I can have my stock black 496Mag Exhuast Risers Polised?? Roughly how much would that set me back?
    Thanks.,
    R-
    Just did mine not long ago,bought a couple of gallons of paint stripper and soaked them.Then i took them to a metal polisher here in town and they look like chrome/shine like a mirrior.Cost me about $70 for polishing and $20 in stripper.Look in your local phone book for a metal polisher in your town.They might even have a better way to stip them.

JB in so cal
    Just did mine not long ago,bought a couple of gallons of paint stripper and soaked them.Then i took them to a metal polisher here in town and they look like chrome/shine like a mirrior.Cost me about $70 for polishing and $20 in stripper.Look in your local phone book for a metal polisher in your town.They might even have a better way to stip them.
    What's $20.00 stripper look like :220v:

davis777
    So once the paint is stripped off the 496 riser they are stainless underneath?
    It says they are Stainless Steel in the Merc specs. Are they just a dull stainless? So it is just professional polishing and buffing to bring them to life?
    Robb

mike37
    So once the paint is stripped off the 496 riser they are stainless underneath?
    It says they are Stainless Steel in the Merc specs. Are they just a dull stainless? So it is just professional polishing and buffing to bring them to life?
    Robb
    yep thats it

Pussywhippled
    Here is a picture of what the stock risers look like polished.

Mike K
    Thank you for the picture. This is exactly what I have been looking for. I can't use headers because it will void my warranty, the job seems pretty straight forward , unbolt , strip and polish ... reinstall. What about gaskets? Is there anything else you can think of before I start the removal and re-install process?
    Thank you

Raylar
    Here's what the entire manifold and risers look like polished. Yes if you are careful and the gaskets are not torn or ripped up you can reuse them. You might want to take the turbulator plates out at this point to.
    Ray @ Raylar