Thread: Race boat #'s ie. SS 18

Jim W
    Hello,
    I was looking at the post----Frahz hulls----with the old pics.
    I have an ex circle Bieser with the # SS 18 on it. Would this be the 18th SS boat registered?
    Is this number dedicated only to this boat? I know in drag racing the #'s are reserved, if that's the right term, as long as you are activly running.
    Just wondering how the whole numbering system works?
    I was also told that as long as the boat is "registered/identified" with a racing series, you dont have to register it in your state. I find that hard to believe!
    If you have a race boat also for lakes use, do you register it?
    Be good, Jim

canam10
    Hello,
    I was looking at the post----Frahz hulls----with the old pics.
    I have an ex circle Bieser with the # SS 18 on it. Would this be the 18th SS boat registered?
    Is this number dedicated only to this boat? I know in drag racing the #'s are reserved, if that's the right term, as long as you are activly running.
    Just wondering how the whole numbering system works?
    I was also told that as long as the boat is "registered/identified" with a racing series, you dont have to register it in your state. I find that hard to believe!
    If you have a race boat also for lakes use, do you register it?
    Be good, Jim
    Jim,
    No it does not mean that at all. The # 18 is a number assigned to the owner of the boat by the American Powerboat Association or CBF,and usually stays with the owner it can however be turned over to the new owner. Numbers can be requested and if not being used will be given to you otherwise a number is just given. I was able to choose from a few numbers they had by just a phone call. If a member does not renew his registration the number goes back in the pot so to speak after one year. I never registered my race boats in New York but I was not able to use them for anything other than APBA racing. At one time there was a grace period 48hrs before a race when your APBA insurance would cover you if you were testing but that went by the wayside. Years ago we were able to test with no problem as long as we called the Coast Guard and told them we'd be on the Niagara River testing. Today we still test but it's not like it was years ago. We try and do it in off hours and if they wanted to they could thow the book at us for ever violation you have and even take the boat away for not being registered in New York. If your gonna race the boat only it does not have to be registered. If you use that boat in the water for anything other than to race at a APBA event it must be registered by law. By the way who did you buy the boat from I don't recall SS-18. Tim

Jim W
    Thanks, I sent you 2 PM's.
    Be good, Jim

canam10
    Thanks, I sent you 2 PM's.
    Be good, Jim
    Got them sent a couple back