Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intake hanging too low...

supersoaker509
    Have you gotten any help yet?

PC Rat
    Without trying to decide if .28+" bed of epoxy putty is too thick to set the intake in, or trying to build the hull up thicker with fiberglass mat, you might consider using some aluminum bar as a spacer. Cut and drill the bar to match the intake mounting flange. Trial fit (of course) using the corner leveling bolts in the intake. Then apply a good coat of epoxy putty to the intake flange, the aluminum bars, and the hull (to make sure there are no voids) and set the intake.
    Brian

BrendellaJet
    Without trying to decide if .28+" bed of epoxy putty is too thick to set the intake in, or trying to build the hull up thicker with fiberglass mat, you might consider using some aluminum bar as a spacer. Cut and drill the bar to match the intake mounting flange. Trial fit (of course) using the corner leveling bolts in the intake. Then apply a good coat of epoxy putty to the intake flange, the aluminum bars, and the hull (to make sure there are no voids) and set the intake.
    Brian
    Not sure I understand that...why the spacer when you can use the leveling bolts?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Ok brendella, can you break it down for me???

PC Rat
    Not sure I understand that...why the spacer when you can use the leveling bolts?
    I thought that having over 1/4" of epoxy may be too thick, and with some flex in the hull the epoxy may break up in time. I was just throwing out the idea of using aluminum flat bar ran all the way around the perimeter, under the mounting flange, to take up most of the space.
    Brian

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I thought that having over 1/4" of epoxy may be too thick, and with some flex in the hull the epoxy may break up in time. I was just throwing out the idea of using aluminum flat bar ran all the way around the perimeter, under the mounting flange, to take up most of the space.
    Brian
    That seens logical. I am looking for other ideas as well...
    Anybody?????
    Seems like people blow off the technical questions and post where all the bullshit is......

tahitijet
    That seens logical. I am looking for other ideas as well...
    Anybody?????
    Seems like people blow off the technical questions and post where all the bullshit is......
    If your asking how to set the intake in the 4 corners the holes are threded for i think a 3/8 bolt insert the bolts in those holes, install the intake and then take all measurments adjusting each bolt and rechecking all measurments till the intake is level and square and at the right height. once set outline the intake with tape leaving some gap between the intake and tape and remove the intake without disturbing the 4 bolts. mix and put down your epoxy make sure to build up enough to fill all voids. reinstall the intake and push down hard to set it in the epoxy.
    wait a while for the epoxy to start to set and smooth it with your finger then remove the tape. after the epoxy has hardened fully remove the 4 bolts, drill out the mounting holes bolt the intake in and mix the remaning epoxy and cover all the bolt heads and the edges/transition of the intake. then sand those areas smooth.
    thats the best i can remember from when i did mine.
    oh by the way do not be suprised if it takes you a full day. Take your time make sure it's perfect before you mix your epoxy. setting the intake didnt take much time at all. getting it in the right place took a long time.

BrendellaJet
    When I bought my hull I had no idea what I was doing. All I saw was a shitty red paint job that I thought looked cool, a red scoop and some chrome bassets. Upon further research I found that it was a good hull but needed a few changes for peak performance-namely getting rid of the delta pad on the bottom.
    The intake was made for a delta pad hull(looks like yours may be too 396. This isn't necessarily bad, but not as good as it could be.(I could be wrong, maybe it is right for your hull...) Anyway-for whatever reason I had A LOT of epoxy holding my intake in.(obviously because without it the intake would be setting down too far) Up to an inch thick around the perimiter. Had been in there for about 30 years and didn't leak, no cracks and didn't want to let go of the intake either. Im not saying its right to set it like that, just how mine was done and that it worked fine.
    Personally I would research some others who have the same hull. Squirtcha? comes to mind. Might want to get a look at his intake install and compare the area ahead of the intake. Find a good straight edge. 6 feet preferably, and lay it on your keel. how far away is it from your "shoe" area? I think this should guide you in your next step:
    Note: I just looked at the pic and it appears as though the intake is hanging below your keel. This is not ideal, however if you are happy with your boats performance then run it. If you have plans of going faster-and I think the general consensus is that hull is capable of mid 80s with no bottom work, maybe more, then yank the intake and do it right.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Good info fellas I will pull the motor and then take lots of pics to get better ideas. I felt it cavatating when I pulled the droop off. It was cavatating at WOT on glass water. Thats how I know that the pump is getting air. When I had the droop on it would push the ass down and keep the pump loaded.
    Brendella, my boat is running in the 80's with the stock bottom right now I think I would get better performance with a shoe and the intake fixed Im not trying to be the fastest but I do want to correct the small issues....

Good info fellas I will pull the motor and then take lots of pics to get better ideas. I felt it cavatating when I pulled the droop off. It was cavatating at WOT on glass water. Thats how I know that the pump is getting air. When I had the droop on it would push the ass down and keep the pump loaded.
    Brendella, my boat is running in the 80's with the stock bottom right now I think I would get better performance with a shoe and the intake fixed Im not trying to be the fastest but I do want to correct the small issues....
    Just out of curiousity, what does a cavitating pump feel like

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast