Thread: ignition coil

LAFD
    have a question can an ignition coil start crapping out of does it just stop working? reason being is this past weekend in parker my boat started running like crap. felt like it wasnt getting gas. so i bought a clear inline fuel filter to see if i was getting fuel which it was full all the time so it doesnt seem like the fuel pump. so i pulled the middle wire off the distributer and flipped it over and turned the motor over and i barely saw any spark and this was at night floating on the river. usally arent you supposed to really see it or even hear it?

Sleek-Jet
    Might be shorted between the primary and secondary windings of the coil... you can use your ohm meter to trouble shoot it.
    Also check the plug wire from the coil to the distributer, it might be bad as well...

LAFD
    Might be shorted between the primary and secondary windings of the coil... you can use your ohm meter to trouble shoot it.
    Also check the plug wire from the coil to the distributer, it might be bad as well...
    cool thanks for the info will try that this weekend.

Moneypitt
    have a question can an ignition coil start crapping out of does it just stop working? reason being is this past weekend in parker my boat started running like crap. felt like it wasnt getting gas. so i bought a clear inline fuel filter to see if i was getting fuel which it was full all the time so it doesnt seem like the fuel pump. so i pulled the middle wire off the distributer and flipped it over and turned the motor over and i barely saw any spark and this was at night floating on the river. usally arent you supposed to really see it or even hear it?
    Beware, most,if not all, carbs have a filter inside the inlet fitting. Just because the clear external filter stays full doesn't mean the carb is actually passing the gas on to the engine. What type of ignition system are you running? The voltage to the coil while cranking may be different than the voltage in the "run" position. Yes, the spark should be blue, and jump at least 1/4 to 3/8ths of an inch in the open air. A good hot coil may even jump 3/4 of an inch or more. Was the coil itself hot to the touch? This is a sign the cooling oil inside has leaked out and the miles of primary wire are getting hot and loosing ability to carry the current. If you think it is the coil borrow one, hook it up and see if it cures your problem. If not, you saved the price of the new coil to spend when you actually find the problem.........MP