Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unloading in corner

GUGS102
    19' hallett, 489 roller, TT rewarders, JG pump, stainless A, DPS inducer, aggressor 9 vane, shoe, rideplate, diverter, loader. Moved the intake and motor back 2"
    I recently redid the pump and added the above, previously it was an aluminum A, stock bowl, droop, stock intake
    One of the things I loved about this boat was how well it held the water in the corners. You could put into a tight 180 and hammer it out of the corner with no loss in accereration, cavitation, or water over the side. It handled better than ANY jet I have ridden in or drove, was like a slot car, too much fun.
    Now that I've "improved" the loading with shoe, inducer etc. If I go into a hard corner the pump unloads and cavitates to the point the boat will stop and take water over the side.
    I love the reponse of the new pump and the acceleration is vastly improved. It will hold full plane at 2500RPM.
    But the unloading has me upset. I have not run pressure gagues on the new set up yet and will do so in the next week or so.
    Any thoughts?

MikeF
    Never seen a "corner" on the water.

GUGS102
    The corner is at the end of the dock as you slide sideways to perform an "Ace Ventura" parking job.
    Anyhoo - - thoughts on why its unloading?

MikeF
    I coulda swore the dock is a no wake zone! :crossx:
    I'll put some thought into it and post later. :boxed: ......(it's likely that bowl,.....jk)

HotRod Sprint
    Mr. Guggenheimer, you moved your 1000lb motor and 200lb pump back 2 inches. Which means you moved your CG back I'm guessing at least 12 inches. From what OUR pump guru said your boat stayed wetted to your butt cheeks before all the work. Now you have less wetted surface to bite when you go into the corner. Just my pennies worth.
    Rod

MikeF
    Probably.......
    The loader could be keeping what would otherwise be an additional amount of water from flowing into your intake in a turn.......those long blades are blocking water from entering easily over the skegs when turning.
    Or,
    Your ride plate is keeping water off the bowl and steering, leading to them "not" being used as a kind of immoveable rudder.(keeping the boat freer by not causing any drag).
    Maybe try the boat w/o the rideplate, and if that does not change things, try an normal open grate.
    Just some thoughts. :boxed:

lilrick
    I had this same problem! I tried several things. Actually Ben Marrone (Maximus) is the master that improved my pump immensely! Iwould first suggest a Skeg in the bottom of the boat, then I would play with a back cut shoe and shims of varying depths. The next area of experimentation is obviously the loader. Moving the motor forward is also another suggestion. You need more weight in front of the motor, as somebody already mentioned. Too much weight is in the rear of the boat and adding or moving weight towards the center of the boat helps to balance or create a better pivot point.

centerhill condor
    I vote for trying her without the loader. The loader is made to straighten the flow so when you're in a turn all that metal reduces the suction area "visible" to the off center flow. and besides removing the loader is the easiest thing to do!
    keep us posted.

GUGS102
    I'm interested to see it without the loader, both in a corner and in a straight line. Although I kept the same size impeller, I lost 500rpm by improving the water to the pump and matching all the surfaces. The 500 RPM I lost is just where the motor was getting to its sweet spot.
    Time for the pressure gagues and see how much they are pulling. I'll keep you informed...

Have you tried dropping the diverter to the full down position when cornering? This works great on my hull. I'll drop the diverter to full down, throw it into a turn and once completed, raise it back up to best trim for speed. I know it's another thing to have to do, but like I said........it works for me.
    I think it's fairly typical particularly when a rideplate is introduced into the picture. Probably due in part to all of the reasons mentioned above though. Also pretty sure the CG would play into it as well as the less wetted surface mentioned, and the loader which is designed to load when trimmed for speed and not necessarily so great in a corner.
    In short my guess would be that all these are contributing factors.
    Try that diverter trimming, it might just work for yours too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast