Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strut bushings ,Different TECH answer

V-Drive Tom
    Please refer to Hot Boat Mag. April 2002 V- Drive Tech.
    I am looking for strut bearings. What color would you recomend for a three-point hydro? Please advise me about costs and where I might be able to purchase them. Thank You.
    Response to question
    Jim, I would use the red bearing material. The cost of a pair of strut bushings starts at $75 for one-inch ID bushings. I only know of two places to buy thses bushings: Casale ENG. and Wilkes Marine. Both Andy Casale and I make these bearings.Thank you Jim.
    Tom says...Why confuse others out there in v-drive land about strut BEARINGS and what COLOR? To keep it simple their strut BUSHINGS. If your not running a drag boat then the standard fiber type work just fine. What matters more is that your v-drive is lined up properly with your prop shaft so that nothing is in a bind. (fiber bushings about $15.00)
    Drag boats use delrin or turcite type plastics because of much higher prop shaft speeds. (with grease pumped into strut before every run.)
    If your going to run plastic type bushings at the lake then your going to want grooves in it to let the water pass through. These are just the basics about the subject.I feel that this should have been explaned in the "TECH" colomn.
    If a guy wants to spend $75.00 on turcite bushings with grooves in it great.I just think a little more explinatoin helps all.
    Thanks for readin!! LATER!!
    WHO NEEDS A NEW CUSTOM PROPELLER!!!
    or prop shaft or v-drive parts. TOM

69 Elim
    hey, nice job on the "tech" stuff. I appreciate knowing as much as possible on these ol v-drives. I'm gonna be pulling apart a Hemi v-drive soon (maybe this weekend - ?) I'll post any questions as I go along - hopefully all goes well - just need new gaskets.

schiada96
    V-drive Tom I think I need to talk about props. I've been told that my 3 blade stainless prop will not last the way I'm running it. 21 ft river cruser 45's in the drive and about 900 hp. What do you recomend?

V-Drive Tom
    Schiada 96 I went THOUSAND OAKS HiGH SCHOOL. Class of 74! I need to know what prop you have. There is some welded ss props out there. That will be a lot better then if it is a casting. It is no problem to check it out for you and let you know. Tom (530-885-0531)

superdave013
    I also have a S.S. prop. Mine is a 2 blade Menkines 11 3/8 X 16. My schiada is a little smaller as it's a 20'er. I'll be making as much hp as the little 572" turbo deal will put out. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
    The prop has worked great so far but now I'm getting ready to sock the power to it.
    So I'm in the same spot as schiada96. Think it will last?
    [This message has been edited by superdave013 (edited March 21, 2002).]

schiada96
    V-drive Tom TOHS class of 78. Its one of the outher mkns deals 11.37 X 16 I'll send it to you to check next week. I don't want to send it back where I got it from rumor has it I won't get it back.
    SD how is that turbo motor? I've been following alittle on your boat, it looks good I like the colors. We need to get the transitions fo those turbos done.
    [This message has been edited by schiada96 (edited March 21, 2002).]

V-Drive Tom
    For all you guys sittin on the fence about a propeller, I will take $100.00 off the price of a new custom shaped prop. With a gaurentee that your boat is improved and you are a HAPPY DUDE! 2-BLADE or 3-BLADE! This will last for ONE MONTH! until 5-2-02 PS, IF your in calif. I will eat the TAX also!
    Tom Bentley @ Menkens V-DRIVES 530-885-0531. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif:J

Sangerboy
    Dang Tom, I wish I needed a new prop right now. I attended Newbury Park Academy '75/'76. It is the prochial school just north of the freeway off of Wendy Dr.

Sangerboy
    That was supposed to say parochial in the previous post.

V-Drive Tom
    SANGERBOY, MY own boat is a 75 Sanger bubble deck flat. Just a nice, warmed up family boat. All my kids have grown up in it. If there is anything I can help you with please give me a call!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast