Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed sking

Thunderbutt
    I am a transplant from CA to the Lake of the Ozarks. Every year in August they have what they call the Ozark Shootout. It is a kilo run, one boat at a time on the clock. Kilo races are kinda like watching the grass grow, not too exciting. So I thought I'd try to spice it up a little. I contacted the people in charge of the race and asked if they would permit a boat to pull a water skier,(at 80 or 90 MPH or more. His reply was if you know someone that can ski that fast bring them on. This has been going on for 2 years now. First I tried to talk Hot Boat into premoting it by asking some of the Californa ski teams to come back; that didn't work so now I'm trying Power Boat to do the same thing; so far I have nothing. The people here have never heard of Speed Sking. 85% of the boats at the Shootout don't come near to triple diget speed. They would blow their mind to see a boat pulling a skier at that speed. This is my last try!

burtandnancy
    thunderbutt
    A few years ago this would have been right up my alley, but I've sold all my ski-race boats. But knowing how much fun LOTO is, and how great this would be for the sport, please contact someone in the So Cal Ski Clubs, such as: NSWSA. Here are a few contact names who have the in's: Ron Tesarski, Custom Canvas, (909) 981-7179,
    Gary Teague (909) 982-8391 and Cheryl Rustin
    (714) 994-4572 This is real exciting, if you have trouble making contacts e-mail me at burtandnancy@aol.com. I'm almost ready to buy a boat and do this myself...

ratso
    I'll up you one...a few years back at the AquaFest in Austin, Texas we saw a guy barefoot at what they claimed to be near 100 mph, looked more like 80, but THAT takes some balls.

years ago at the marine staudium we saw a guy with one leg get pulled through the 1/4 mile behind, if I remember right, a Rogers at 90mph and change. He did it just for an exhibition type run........

BADAXE
    Originally posted by old rigger:
    years ago at the marine staudium we saw a guy with one leg get pulled through the 1/4 mile behind, if I remember right, a Rogers at 90mph and change. He did it just for an exhibition type run........
    Maybe Burt knows more about it but I used to go down the the marine stadium for the Endo's speed ski nationals. Saw Graig Wendt go 135mph through the traps behind a blown fuel flat bottom. Used to live down the street from Mike Bemis in Lake Arrowhead. I am pretty sure he broke 100mph barefoot a couple of times. Wild stuff!

ratso
    Chunk the skis and barefoot at triple digits...even I'll drop what I'm doing to go see that s**t.

Thunderbutt
    Burt, I've talked to people At Schiada, Long Beach ski club, Rex Marine. Power Boat is coming back for this event so I thought they might get involved. I would like to get Mike Avila to bring his twin Huffer boat, but I don't no how to reach him. If anyone knows him let me know QUOTE]Originally posted by burtandnancy:
    thunderbutt
    A few years ago this would have been right up my alley, but I've sold all my ski-race boats. But knowing how much fun LOTO is, and how great this would be for the sport, please contact someone in the So Cal Ski Clubs, such as: NSWSA. Here are a few contact names who have the in's: Ron Tesarski, Custom Canvas, (909) 981-7179,
    Gary Teague (909) 982-8391 and Cheryl Rustin
    (714) 994-4572 This is real exciting, if you have trouble making contacts e-mail me at burtandnancy@aol.com. I'm almost ready to buy a boat and do this myself...[/QUOTE]

spectras only
    Jim, Contact Brian or Darrin Davidson at ***boat to get in contact with Avila. Wish I could be at the race http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

burtandnancy
    Thunderbutt
    You're on the right track. Mike Avila drives the twin NASCAR powered Wellscraft. Try Marty Wells (awesome skier) out in Colton. What a show that would be! Good luck...

Thunderbutt
    Attila, I tried talking to Hot Boat last year because they were here for the shootout the previous year. I called Brett Payne, he told me he had never been to a Ski race and didn't know what I was talking about, so much for a writer for Hot Boat, desk jocky. If eather one of these magazines would permote something like this it would sell in this area. These people are open for boat racing, but it has to be a little more exciting then a Kilo race, they need something different. Like I said it's like watching grass grow. UOTE]Originally posted by spectras only:
    Jim, Contact Brian or Darrin Davidson at ***boat to get in contact with Avila. Wish I could be at the race http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast