Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: High flow bowl!

svt2224
    Here are some pics of the bowl failure that I experienced at the SDBA race in OKC. This is the second bowl I have broken in two races, the last was at MF last season. Has anyone else ran into this problem?
    Jhttp://thumb9.webshots.com/t/59/559/7/91/56/2391791560069608869cMbnTT_th.jpg (http://community.webshots.com/photo/...69608869cMbnTT)

Jet Hydro
    Looks like a unloading and loading problem. did you do that at the big end? I think it might take a bigger Band-Aid :220v:

blown428fe

svt2224
    Both times that this has happend it has been right off the line just before the boat falls onto plane, I have spoke to a couple of the jet gurus that are around and I am going to add a MSD launch controler (thanks Gary) to try to cut down on cavitation. Both bowls dominator and berk have broke in the same place.

UBFJ #454
    Picture posted here is of an older Berkeley?

svt2224
    It's a few years old, I bought it as a new old stock item.

UBFJ #454
    Hard to tell from a picture ... you'll have to check ... From picture it mlooks like a Core Shift in the casting (mic both sides of the break ... looks like maybe approaching 0.100 difference side to side ... w/nodular Al cast material in the inner portion of the cast ... again hard to be sure with only pictures) if anything close to what I think I see ... Bad Casting with Bad Pour of cast material (nodules imply non constant pour ... segeration og materials ... manufacture's Flaw). Also it appears the bowl vein shown in you picture is 'cracked' at its base .....
    Who did the front of the bowl blades Prep? If too much cut straight (w/o side direction, only up into bowl ... too much pressure can build up at top of bowl and with a Poor Casting ... Pop Can Go The Bowl) ... You've said 'free flow bowl' ... I'm understanding that to mean someone has tried to make the bowl flow free'er by taking out the restrictions of the bends af the blades of the bowl at their onset ... that can be bone, but path of water entry into the bowl off the impeller is critical, especially with a poorly, mis-cast bowl.

DEL51
    That pic is small. is it double bolted? Do hi end builders sonic check bowls?

Youve got a problem there.. I seriously doubt the bowl prep work or core shift caused TWO different bowls to fail in the same area.
    Heavy cavitation would be my guess.What does the boat feel like when you stand on the gas?
    Tell us about your set up and pump work youve had done in the past.

Need better pics too, i only see one pic and its worthless.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast