Thread: 460 Build almost done!!!

'78 gt boat
    Well after all of the BS this past summer wth my first boat purchase (bad motor in the first 30 minutes) which turned out to be my second boat purchase (spun a rod after 45 minutes) I am almost in the water. I had a motor built from Lakes Only and just picked it up yesterday. I dropped it off with Glenn at Powerboat Specialties to finish putting everything together since he is the one that pulled the blown motor ot of my boat. The new motor is as follows:
    Standard 460 Shortblock Freshening/Rebuild
    · New main bearings
    · New rod bearings
    · New cam bearings
    · new piston rings
    · bore block
    · new camshaft: Lift = .514/.536 Dur = 218/225 LC = 112*
    · new roller timing chain
    · grind crank
    · balance rotating assembly
    · assemble shortblock
    Additional parts & upgrades
    · C9VE-B Block w/Oiling Mods
    · New Eagle SIR full floating Rods
    · New TRW Forged Flat-top Pistons
    · New Spirolox Pin Clips
    · New Stage 1 Oil Pump
    · 460 Crank
    D3VE head Option
    · mild porting
    · stainless steel valves
    · 3-angle valve job
    · heavy duty valve springs
    · These heads are being reconditioned with parts (listed above)
    From what I m told it will be around 9.5:1 compression and should be around 400hp. Add to it the dooley 10qt oil pan and all of the MSD ignition parts I should have a pretty good motor. I just want to say many thanks to Lakes for helping me out and I can't wait to get her wet. I will post how it goes once I'm out on the water. I don't care if it's 20 below I'm taking it out as soon as it is done. :skull: :skull: :skull:

Ken F
    LOL have3 you ever seen 20 below in Freemont?????
    Paul is a great guy, and you wiill have a great engine there. Hope all works out well for you, and you have a turnkey summer!
    Ken F

Squirtin Thunder
    I ran a very similar cam in a 429 BBF and it made a bit more.
    The cam was a Crane Powermax 272-H
    It made 500@5500rpm and 524@4500
    That was with 1.73 rockers on all 16
    Paul picked you a real nice cam, I bet you could turn a A2 impeller to 5K.

Ralph Brunt
    well i guess i'll have to jump on the bandwagon my 501 is allmost done as well not to highjack your thread butt, i was new to the boards as well as boating and paul was just about the only guy that took the time to guid me in the right direction. scat 4.140 crank 6.800 h-beam rods .30 je-srp pistons all the same block mods you got and a high flow dynamics stage 1 pump getting the oil pan from paul too. i guess what i'm trying to say is paul is ok in my book too glad i met him ralph

LakesOnly
    Wow thanks for the kind words everyone...just helping the Ford brothers out, you know.
    This particular motor for 78GTBoat was simply a budget build to replace the oem Hardin Marine 460 in his Spectra. 78GT needed a fresh start after loosing a couple of engines (1 chevy, 1 Ford), and at this juncture wasn't looking for a particularly high horsepower/high dollar build, but more importantly a reliable one.
    Hey 78GT, what the hell...here are the pics. Right click and save to your hard-drive:
    Before & After:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...078GTBoat3.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...078GTBoat4.jpg
    Before & After:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...078GTBoat1.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...078GTBoat2.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...oatRotAssy.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...atShrtblck.jpg
    My approach was to provide a shortblock that was more than adequately prepped and strengthened with parts & handiwork that should be above and beyond the needs of the current overall package. This would allow the motor to be further built up with bigger cam and/or heads in the future and be able to sustain the increased power output. In other words, a good foundation from which more HP could be had with nothing more than bolt-ons. Note the blended oil drainbacks at the rear of the valley and the addition of front drainbacks through the front china wall (to the timing chain area) that will allow oil drainback down the front timing cover to the pan. (This is a great mod for a reverse mounted v-drive motor by the way.) Oil pump mounting pad-to-filter pad gallery is opened up and blended too.
    Heads are budget ported so as to provide adequate flow for this specific build and then fit with stainless valves for the long haul. Fine detail work not mandatory here and now, but can be attended to later if necessary. I port the D3VE's differently than the D0VE's, by the way. Double roller is a Cloyes (for the same reason--long haul).
    I don't feel the HP estimate is unreasonable with the ported heads, the cam, the ignition and an Holley 850 on that Stealth intake. Oh yeah, 78GT: the cam profile you noted is incorrect; exhaust duration is favored by 10 degrees (not 7), and the spec's are: Lift = .514/.536 Dur = 215/225 LC = 112*
    I was pleased to see the factory Ford forged flat tops (by TRW) come in at zero deck at TDC on the early block.
    GT, are the old parts still at the shop?
    LO

Schiada Time
    Running a 501 BBF in my Hallett that I had built. Eagle crank and rods, SRP 28CC inverted dome pistons, Lunati cam, Weiand tunnel ram, dual 600 cfm Holley's. Runs like a bat out of hell and has been very reliable. I have renewed faith in the Blue Ovals.
    Hot Rod Hallett-Red Rocker

'78 gt boat
    The 20 below thing was a figure of speach which I'm sure you were aware of. The point being no matter the temp I'm going out when it is done. I am very happy with the build and so is Glen at PBS. Lakes, yes all of the old parts are still there. Block, Heads, I believe the 7 good pistons as well. PM me or call to let me know what you want so either you or I can go and get it. I gave PBS your number and he says he will definately call you if there are any questions about the motor. :crossx: :crossx:

dmontzsta
    I have heard many things about this build. It should be a nice reliable motor for you.

dmontzsta
    Running a 501 BBF in my Hallett that I had built. Eagle crank and rods, SRP 28CC inverted dome pistons, Lunati cam, Weiand tunnel ram, dual 600 cfm Holley's. Runs like a bat out of hell and has been very reliable. I have renewed faith in the Blue Ovals.
    Hot Rod Hallett-Red Rocker
    Once they are dialed in, they run forever.

LakesOnly
    I am very happy with the build and so is Glen at PBS. Lakes, yes all of the old parts are still there. Block, Heads, I believe the 7 good pistons as well. PM me or call to let me know what you want so either you or I can go and get it. I gave PBS your number and he says he will definately call you if there are any questions about the motor. :crossx: :crossx:Thanks, I'll probably call Glen directly or PM you...will pick up the old motor lickety split.
    LO