Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust manifold gaskets

bocco
    I have aluminum log manifolds on my 454. On the right hand side of my motor there are 4 gaskets stacked between the manifold and the block. The other side has just one. I'm guessing this was done because manifold is warped. Since it's not hurting anything and it's been working fine for 2 years I'm not going to mess with it until winter. Then I'll pull both manifolds and have them surfaced flat again.
    My question is which type of gasket is recommended. I have a set of plain old automotive gaskets. Will they work?
    Thanks
    Gary

lilrick
    I was wondering the same thing! (which gaskets to use)

GofastRacer
    No gaskets "PERIOD", that's the reason they are warped and eventually they'll break. They go on like the factory cast iron manifolds, metal to metal, just make sure both parts are surfaced and perfectly clean!..

Sand Dawg
    does that go the same for cast exhaust marine manifolds
    and aluminum heads?

GofastRacer
    does that go the same for cast exhaust marine manifolds
    and aluminum heads?
    If you're talking about cast iron manifolds, that's all the more reason not to use gaskets, cast iron don't flex so you won't warp them they will break!..

Moneypitt
    Look under the logs. It is possible the logs contact the head studs/bolts before a seal can be obtained at the head ports. That many gaskets sounds more like a spacer situation than a warped parts sealing attempt, and those log castings do vary from side to side.........MP

GofastRacer
    Very true, but I've seen this many times and I'll lay odds it's because they are warped so bad they just keep stacking gaskets, and next thing you know the ends break off!..

Daytona100
    Can you get them surfaced?

Moneypitt
    Very true, but I've seen this many times and I'll lay odds it's because they are warped so bad they just keep stacking gaskets, and next thing you know the ends break off!..
    Yeah but there isn't any real backpressure to blow out the exhaust ports, all you got there is water exiting the motor after the snails...........And yes, they could be surfaced, as I recall there is quite abit of material there to mess with.........MP

GofastRacer
    Yeah but there isn't any real backpressure to blow out the exhaust ports, all you got there is water exiting the motor after the snails...........And yes, they could be surfaced, as I recall there is quite abit of material there to mess with.........MP
    That's true, but how many know how to tighten bolts, most go by the theory "if in doubt strip it" know what I mean!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast