Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trailer tires/jack

Sotally Tober
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...84Tire_001.jpg
    The other night heading home from the lake this happens. 11pm. The tires are Nankang made in Tawain. Trailer is 1 year old. I have had 3 others that the steel belts have broken and caused a raised spot in the tread area. The tires are 8 ply 2540lbs D rated. Worst tire I have ever seen. I had Marathons on the old trailer which were really bad also. What tires are you guys having luck with? I ordered 10 ply E rated Carlisles from discount and are going to replace all six. Hopefully they are better tires.
    Also what jack are you carrying for trailer flats. I thought my truck one would work. No luck. Could not get under the axle. I had to call my brother at midnight to bring me a floor jack. I went and bought a small 2 ton one for the tool box. Just hate carrying around a floor jack.

Outnumbered
    Get Greenball Towmaster 5's at Discount Tire. Special order. Price range from $50 to $75 per tire depending on the size.

Outnumbered
    I use a 4x6 Doug Fir beam/block and drive up the good tire. Not sure if this works with tripples.

spectras only
    ST , go to your local wreck yard and grab a jack from under the rear seat of a 1996+ Grand Cherokee . It's a light screw type and small . I have Nankangs on my trailer and keeping 60* cold pressure in them , no prob. Had Marathons for my Spectra trailer , no problems . I've heard Carlisles aren't the best either :argue: , and they have a class action suit against them :idea:

Sotally Tober
    I have 8 Nankangs and 3-4 have been bad. 2 are spares. They have been pretty shitty for me. Won't use them again. I run 65#s. Why doesn't Michelin make a trailer tire? I would pay for a quality tire!

bohica
    Don't do the Carlisle's, way to many failures.

spectras only
    ST , I would use bias tires if I had triples on my trailer. There's way too much stress on the sidewalls while turning a triple , and that could be your problem. The bias tires lasted for ever on my 1976 Fotografix trailer . I only had to change them because they were drying out . The threads were still good after 15yrs .
    These tires lasted pretty long on my rig , cause they could all turn :rollside:
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/BTR-60-1n.jpg

Boozer
    Don't do the Carlisle's, way to many failures.
    Seriously? The Discount in Havasu told me that Carlisles are the only way to go so that's what I went with.

bohica
    Here's a link to one of the Carlisle tire failure threads on GD.COM
    This is just one of many threads on Carlisle.
    These are all related to toyhauler/trailer tires not boat trailers. Almost everyone I know with the Carlisle's has had numerous failures.
    Carlisle thread (http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/...opic=17311&hl=)

Rod-64
    I had TWO NEW Carlisles go in a month.........they suck!!!!! Especially changing them on the side of the road at 121 degress.
    65# on the Nankangs???? I have those and it says 50#............unless we're talking different size but 65 seems high.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast