Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Bending water.

MikeF
    I Was Talkin To A Drunk Behind The 7-11 The Other Day And He Was Telling Me That The Longer The Pump The More Thrust You Lose At The End...is There Any Truth To This? Or Was He Just A Stupid Drunk From Outside Malibu.
    Real question is.........Did he walk up to you, or you to him? :220v: :skull:

What was he drinking? how long was the chat :crossx:
    sleek

bottom feeder
    Bense 468,
    You find the smartest drunks behind 7-11's.
    This I would say is true and false.
    The reason I say this is true is the longer the pump the more surface area inside the pump. We all know that a pipe flowing water has the most volume and velocity at its core due to the surface drag at the outer edge.
    The reason I say it is fase is if one tries to bend the flow to lower the thrust line in to short of distance it will efectively reduce the working diameter of the pipe.
    So witch is the worst of two evils? Add length or reduce diameter?

bottom feeder
    Actually it's any point along the thrust vector until it is interrupted by a change in direction. Consider a perfectly straight nozzle right through the pump shaft bearing. The thrust is being carried by the pump impeller and bearing. Now turn the nozzle the water is reacting against the bend without compensation from another bend and the thrust vector changes. In the case of a droop the first bend is countered by both the pump impeller and bearing and again the second bend at the bottom at 50% plus losses each causing a full cancellation of forces. As the bottom bend has nothing further to cancel forces the thrust vector is redirected at that plane. In all cases the pressurized water is trying to move things apart. It's all simple trig - you know - for every action there is a reaction. With that said there are losses in energy for every change in thrust direction due to friction, cavitation, eddys, turbulence and other things we piping people concern ourselves with.
    Well said.

MikeF
    How about releasing the water from the nozzle as low as possible (practically onto the water surface. I know pumps work off MASS FLOW but could there be a mechanical advantage to pushing it right out the nozzle directly (as directly as possible) into the water?

tahitijet
    CS.. just a crazy thought but do they or anyone make a low profile intake? I'm wondering if running or making a low profile intake to lower the full pump in the boat would have the same effect as a droop but allow you to run a straight snoot to eliminate bending the water then use small wedge adjustments to fine tune the nozzle angle. instead of making another turn in the tight area of the nozzle with a PD. I"m guessing small wedge adjustments agianst a striaght snoot would disrupt the water much less then increasing the angle of pieace that already has a decent curve to it

RCB19
    Looks like it will work to me. Try it. :220v: That setup is starting to look like some of the CP's in your pits.

CS what is the spacer deal on the back of the bowl in front of the wedge?
    Sleek
    sleek, its just a spacer. I threw it in there to make the pump longer which also makes it lower.

CS.. just a crazy thought but do they or anyone make a low profile intake? I'm wondering if running or making a low profile intake to lower the full pump in the boat would have the same effect as a droop but allow you to run a straight snoot to eliminate bending the water then use small wedge adjustments to fine tune the nozzle angle. instead of making another turn in the tight area of the nozzle with a PD. I"m guessing small wedge adjustments agianst a striaght snoot would disrupt the water much less then increasing the angle of pieace that already has a decent curve to it
    There are lots of different intakes, I just have the standard 4 degree berk. Later on down the road Ill get a low pro.
    I tottally agree with you, its stupid to scoop up all this water and ramp it way up high into the jet then try to release it real low.

sanger rat

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast