Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: cst lift.... 5150 bilstein shocks

TOBTEK
    Anyone else have this combo on their 2500HD? I have 16k miles on mine and it fills like the syspension is going to fall off in the street at any second! Took it back to Off Road warehouse and they said the pitman arm or idler arm has bushings that ware out fast fast and there isnt anything they can do about it. AND the sound in the back is the shocks that are blown out. This cant be normal, The truck has NEVER been off road. Is there a kit or something for the front end? and if I have to get new shocks, what is the hot set-up with out going into crazy money.

tahitijet
    they are correct about the bushings... chevy for some reason switched over in the new trucks and started surronding the pitman and idler arm stubs with nylon (I think) bushings. This creates a huge weak link and they will and do wear out prematurly even in stock trucks. Many lift kits on the market use a upper control arm drop and a very narrow steering drop with tie rod extensions. THis has become normal but unfortunatly is very very harsh on componets The leverage created by larger tires on a narrowly spaced upper/lower control arm is increased many times over stock. This typically causes lifted trucks to knock out of alignment easily and also wears pitman /idler arms. Couple that with the weak parts to start with and you get your problem.
    So long story short cognito offers a pitman/idler arm support kit that reinforces both pieaces and virtually elimnates wear on these parts.
    I'm a dealer for them if you need anything. It's a very simple kit to install

TOBTEK
    good information! so what do I need and what am I looking at price wise?

sigepmock
    good information! so what do I need and what am I looking at price wise?
    I'm pretty sure with the CST 6-8" you shouldn't have problems with the pitman/idler set-up. I know on my RCD I reinforced the pitman/idler with a kit from Cognito but with the way the CST kit drops the steering it's supposed to eliminate the problem.
    Let me do some checking and see what I can find. I'll get back to you.
    Chris

TOBTEK
    I'm pretty sure with the CST 6-8" you shouldn't have problems with the pitman/idler set-up. I know on my RCD I reinforced the pitman/idler with a kit from Cognito but with the way the CST kit drops the steering it's supposed to eliminate the problem.
    Let me do some checking and see what I can find. I'll get back to you.
    Chris
    thanks Chris for checking.....AND the CST DOES have a big problem! fills and sounds like the wheels are going to fall off at any second. I need to demo someones shocks to see if mine are toast. I dont even want to drive this thing at this point.

sigepmock
    Checked around and it seems that the CST kit helps reduce the effect of the larger tires but doesn't eliminate it. If your's are toast which seems odd at 16k miles youre best bet is to upgrade with the Fabtech kit. It has the higher quality delrin(sp?) bushings. The kit may be on back order though right now. Also have you had the dealer check on the "Intermediate Steering Shaft"? These trucks are notorious for wearing these out fast, makes a loud clunking sound going over small bumps , especially when turning, should be covered under warranty. As far as the rear shocks my buddies also say that they should have lasted longer, Bilstein should warranty the shocks if they don't show signs of abuse.
    Good luck and sorry to hear about your problems,
    Chris

H20 Toie
    That's why after having Chevys for years i finally bought a Ford :yuk: Even the H2 had the same problem

sigepmock
    thanks Chris for checking.....AND the CST DOES have a big problem! fills and sounds like the wheels are going to fall off at any second. I need to demo someones shocks to see if mine are toast. I dont even want to drive this thing at this point.
    I've got 9500 miles on mine and no issues. My buddies at two shops told me to wait until the stock idler/pitman arm start to rattle then replace them with the Fabtech parts. I checked them a few weeks ago and everything was still tight and looked good, so I leave them for now.
    I think SoCalHD has some Rancho 5000's that will fit your truck if you want to see if yours are shot, I'll see if he still has them and can let you borrow them.
    Still seems stange that they's wear out so fast. I had the Bilstien 5100's on my RCD lift and put 50k hard miles on them and they were just starting to show signs of getting old when I sold the truck.
    Chris

sigepmock
    Looks like it's time for the upgrade Toby.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...shocks-med.JPG
    Or maybe time for the bypass's:
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...shockhoops.JPG
    :crossx:

tahitijet
    Checked around and it seems that the CST kit helps reduce the effect of the larger tires but doesn't eliminate it. If your's are toast which seems odd at 16k miles youre best bet is to upgrade with the Fabtech kit. It has the higher quality delrin(sp?) bushings. The kit may be on back order though right now. Also have you had the dealer check on the "Intermediate Steering Shaft"? These trucks are notorious for wearing these out fast, makes a loud clunking sound going over small bumps , especially when turning, should be covered under warranty. As far as the rear shocks my buddies also say that they should have lasted longer, Bilstein should warranty the shocks if they don't show signs of abuse.
    Good luck and sorry to hear about your problems,
    Chris
    good call on the intermediate shaft. that can also be an issue however more common on the 2wd then 4wd.
    I'd like to see a pic or cst's steering drop? do you have one? Using a lift kit with a properly designed steering drop (I can only think of 2 and maybee the exception of cst 3 companies that use a proper design) and buy leaving the upper control arm as high as possible and using an extended spindle (not a lift spindle) to make more space between the upper/lower control will grately reduce the leverage large tires apply.
    No need to upgrade to differen't pieaces, install the cognito kit and you'll virtually eliminate all wear and tear on the pitman/idler arm bushings.
    They also offer a heavy duty idler arm and support for the SUV's as the idler in the suv has been knowen to fail as well.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast