Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: cst lift.... 5150 bilstein shocks

TOBTEK
    Just talked with Justin at Cognito. He says their brace will work with the CST kit but he doesn't think we need it but it couldn't hurt. He suggested if the stock ones are shot to use the Moog replacements. He said they are lasting a lot longer than the Fabtech ones.
    Off of Moogs Website-
    Pitman Arm: K6654
    Idler Arm: K6535 (Improved Design W/O Bracket)
    Moog frame bracket for the idler arm is a K6659
    Inner Tie-Rod end (4WD): ES3488
    Inner Tie-Rod end (2WD): ES3489
    Outer Tie-Rod end: ES3493T (Improved Design)
    Idler arm (just the arm, not the bracket)
    Napa # 268-3715
    Idler arm bracket
    Napa # 268-3717
    Pitman Arm
    Napa # 268-1679
    I think I might get the Cognito brace kit anyways. $200 for piece of mind.
    Sorry for all the info. This one got me fired up :crossx:
    Chris
    Chris....thanks for all the info. I need to do something....maybe just get a new 06, or 07 ford twin turbo ready for a new color anyway. What do those King or Fox shocks sell for? Do I have to do front shock hoops? Im kinda into non-hoop look.

sigepmock
    Chris....thanks for all the info. I need to do something....maybe just get a new 06, or 07 ford twin turbo ready for a new color anyway. What do those King or Fox shocks sell for? Do I have to do front shock hoops? Im kinda into non-hoop look.
    To be honest I'm suprised you haven't sold the truck already and moved on....I mean you already sold the boat and Rhino
    I think I paid about $300/ea for the Kings and the Fox Bypass's are around $650/ea. I'm sure you could get a set of to work in the stock location but you'd need to do a little modification to the mount. I'm going by SoCal Super trucks next Tuesday, I'll see what they say.
    BTW Boat looks absolutely sick, can't wait to see what you did to the Rhino. Evo's working on my cage and seats hopefully as we speak.
    Chris

TrojanDan
    I'm going by SoCal Super trucks next Tuesday, I'll see what they say.
    Chris
    Who do you recommend for the Cognito Leveling Kit for the install? SoCal Super trucks or your buddy at Rancho Motorsports? I have a '05 4x4 3500 SRW CC LB and want to keep my mileage and tow capacity hence the leveling kit.
    Thanks.
    BTW- Tahitijet, thanks for your insight. I'd give you a call but noticed your shop is up in "V".

sigepmock
    [QUOTE=TrojanDan]Who do you recommend for the Cognito Leveling Kit for the install? SoCal Super trucks or your buddy at Rancho Motorsports? I have a '05 4x4 3500 SRW CC LB and want to keep my mileage and tow capacity hence the leveling kit.
    Thanks.
    Just re-read the post and changed my answer, I recommend you get a quote from both and then beat them up on their price :crossx: I consider both of them my friends, Jason at Rancho motosports a better friend though so he should give you the best deal.

Chris

TrojanDan
    Thanks Chris.

sigepmock
    Thanks Chris.
    No Problem, if you need me to put in a good word with either guy let me know. You should be real happy with the leveling kit, it's a good compromise, let's you run some decent size tires but keeps the towing/hauling easy.
    Good luck,
    Chris

TrojanDan
    No Problem, if you need me to put in a good word with either guy let me know.
    Good luck,
    Chris
    That sounds great. I'm leaving to Havasu tomorrow for the long weekend and I will be bringing my truck home for a couple of months (snowbirds are renting). I'll shoot you a PM soon.
    Thanks again.

RidinRed
    I dont know about the newer trucks but, my 96 and 99 both lifted w/ about 10k miles. Steering was jacked on both. Two seperate shops did the work, corksuckers at the stealer said they were in spec.
    On another note, Bilsteins i have seen fail with few miles. Both on stock Z71's and lifted as aftermarket.
    So, your troubles could be either. Guess I didn't help much huh?

tahitijet
    I dont know about the newer trucks but, my 96 and 99 both lifted w/ about 10k miles. Steering was jacked on both. Two seperate shops did the work, corksuckers at the stealer said they were in spec.
    On another note, Bilsteins i have seen fail with few miles. Both on stock Z71's and lifted as aftermarket.
    So, your troubles could be either. Guess I didn't help much huh?
    Poorly designed lift kits are out there in force for every make and model of truck.. They look good and do there job but improperly designed steering drops do nothing but cause bump steer and take out pitman an idler arms left and right.
    When we used to run whiplash kits it was highly common to take out pitman or idler arms within a few thousand miles on trucks with 38" and larger tires. This is a direct result of a bad steering drop design. Many, in fact most companies use a variation of the same style of design drop. The most common negative effect of this drop has been refered to as the "death wobble" Those who have had lifted trucks for a long time with large tires know what i'm talking about.
    Now on the newer trucks there are weak links in the steering as were described on page 1. even with a proper drop they still require attention. install an improper steerign drop and the pieaces wont stand a chance.

cyclone
    To be honest I'm suprised you haven't sold the truck already and moved on....I mean you already sold the boat and Rhino
    I think I paid about $300/ea for the Kings and the Fox Bypass's are around $650/ea. I'm sure you could get a set of to work in the stock location but you'd need to do a little modification to the mount. I'm going by SoCal Super trucks next Tuesday, I'll see what they say.
    BTW Boat looks absolutely sick, can't wait to see what you did to the Rhino. Evo's working on my cage and seats hopefully as we speak.
    Chris
    Bypass shocks would be a huge waste of cash on a truck that never sees the dirt.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast