Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Need help..Canfield heads w/ stud girdle probs.

poncho-pwr
    As most of you here probably know, I build Pontiac motors for a living/hobby and that is where my expertise mainly resides. I do however build quite a few Chevys/Fords/Mopars and don't usually have common parts problems that elude me. I am just trying to finish up a blown 427 BBC for a customer and we put his Canfield 310s off of a N/A motor that he had been running on it. I get to the point of installing the brand new from Canfield stud girdles that we recieved from the UPS man this morning and I noticed that the adjuster nuts are not on the same angle as the flat spots in the girdles. I have never messed with Canfield heads before so I don't know if this is normal or not. It is not so severe that I can't fix it with a little grinding here and there to make them work, but I was just wondering if they maybe sent the wrong girdles or if I got a poorly made set. I figure I can't reach anyone at Canfield until Monday so I thought I would ask here as well as some of the other hotrod car sites and see if anyone had run into this before.

GofastRacer
    There was a thread on this not too long ago, and according to Chris this is the number you need, 1116!..

steelcomp
    There was a thread on this not too long ago, and according to Chris this is the number you need, 1116!..The Canfield girdles don't fit. I had to take a cartridge roll and modify where the adjusters contact the girdles. I was pretty frustrated with the whole thing. I had bought a girdle from Competition Products along with my Canfields, and when I got it, it looked like some mass produced generic stud girdle. I called Canfield and asked them to send me the one for their heads ...guess what. Same identical freekin girdle!

poncho-pwr
    Thanks guys. I will try to get thbe proper girdles Monday. If I can't I will modify these.

PC Rat
    I wound up receiving the wrong stud girdles with my CFE (Canfield cast) heads. Check out this thread http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115575

VD CRUISER
    Since I already had a set of Crane stud girdles, I tried them and they worked on my Canfields. Canfield had told me I would need a set just for their heads.

GofastRacer
    The Canfield girdles don't fit. I had to take a cartridge roll and modify where the adjusters contact the girdles. I was pretty frustrated with the whole thing. I had bought a girdle from Competition Products along with my Canfields, and when I got it, it looked like some mass produced generic stud girdle. I called Canfield and asked them to send me the one for their heads ...guess what. Same identical freekin girdle!
    Well according to Chris, this is the number you need for those heads 1116, did you try those???, how about the Websters?????.. I'm curious never messed with Canfields yet, but there's got to be one that fits I would think?????..

GofastRacer
    Since I already had a set of Crane stud girdles, I tried them and they worked on my Canfields. Canfield had told me I would need a set just for their heads.
    Barry, what were your Crane's originally for??, when you clamped them did the lash change any???.... Art..

steelcomp
    Well according to Chris, this is the number you need for those heads 1116, did you try those???, how about the Websters?????.. I'm curious never messed with Canfields yet, but there's got to be one that fits I would think?????.. Webster shows they make a girdle for the Can's. Don't know the p/n off hand, but I'm definately going to look into a set when I get things going.

GofastRacer
    Webster shows they make a girdle for the Can's. Don't know the p/n off hand, but I'm definately going to look into a set when I get things going.
    This is what their site shows for a part number "PART #: Canfield ", be interesting to see how they fit!..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast