Thread: 460 EATING BELTS ???????

WATERROCKET
    GUYS, 4 TRIPS TO THE LAKE AND BLACK RUBBER DUST ALL OVER THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT AND THE ALTINATOR BELT IS LOOSE AGAIN. I JUST PUT ON NEW GOODYEAR BELTS. THE PULLYS SEEM TO BE ALIGNED PROPERLY WITH NO OBSTRUCTIONS TO HIT THE BELTS. GOT ANY IDEAS?

spectras only
    Waterrocket ,I would double check that pulley alignment and proper tension. If it's good, get a notched belt that's more flexible around the alternator pulley's radius.I've only replaced the belt once in my 76 spectra.

lakesmodified
    Check for the tiniest amount of rust or pits etc.. I had the same thing happen on my mini daycruiser with a 351W Ford, pulled all the pulleys off, glass beaded them, and the problem went away. Good luck, Ivan

WATERROCKET
    THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS, WILL DIG INTO THIS A LITTLE DEEPER. WHO MAKES THE BEST BELTS... GATES?

CV-23
    I had the same problem....The alternator bolt is slipping back into the old scar or mark on the mount bracket. Put a hardened washer on it and it will hold fine and not slip anymore. I had all my belts replaced at the Dealership and still had to fix it myself.....Mike.

iceman
    make sure your using the right size belts,when i bought my first inboard boat i replaced the belts with truck belts and i don't know how many belts i shredded,i was ready to pull my hair out.