Thread: fuel lines

derail640
    do i need a water fuel Separator or just a fuel filter ? also my tank lines came to a tee in the middle both even lenghts if one was longer than the other would i draw fuel faster from one tank than the other?

atxwrangler
    i mount a water separator/filter,as close to the middle of the transom as possible,then run my fuel line from there to my carbs.the large filter takes longer to plug imho.the only way to go.

i mount a water separator/filter,as close to the middle of the transom as possible,then run my fuel line from there to my carbs.the large filter takes longer to plug imho.the only way to go.
    I'll share my experience if ya don't mind.
    Basically I messed up by purchasing a Fram canister type fuel filter. Although I like the filter and the replaceable element, it turned out to be a water separator too. It just doesn't have a provision to drain like the real separator does. I replaced my element this winter and the bottom of the cannister must've had some water sitting in it and it rusted the metal on the element.
    I'd strongly recommend that you buy a real fuel filter/water separator. At least it'll have a petcock on it to drain the water. I have to take mine apart to get the water out of it. Then there's the rust thing............
    When I ran my stainless lines from tanks to filter, I made em the same length. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I wasn't gonna chance it. Stainless is too expensive to have to redo.