Thread: Water Injection

BOFH
    All the stuff that used to be everywhere ain't nowhere no more!
    All I am looking for is a basic water or water/alchohal injection kit, like the old Edelbrock VaraJection kit. Used to be had in speed shops everywhere, and now they are gone! It is a great way to effectivly raise octain raiting for high compression at low cost. Now all I can find are kits for blowers. I need one for a carb based engine. Anyone know where to find one? Anyone know what I am talking about? Am I getting too old for this shit? :-)

nhbuoy
    HEY BOFH, I don't know why I'm responding to a TEXAN while the RANGERS are embarassing my RED SOX but...... No you aren't crazy regarding water/alcohol injection....CAR CRAFT,HOT ROD,& POPULAR HOT RODDING all did articles & tests about this miracle cure for detonation. If I remember correctly, it didn't raise octane # but lowered the temperature in the combustion chamber.They found that "cutting" it with alcohol helped "non-moving" parts resist the rust that had a tendency to form if it sat for a period of time if the motor wasn't run W/O the system for a short time before shutting the motor off. The alcohol also lowered temps even more. There was another reason they added the alcohol, but I'm old & my brain doesn't remember anymore...!!!!!!!(I'f you lived in the east I'd add it in winter to keep it from freezing).......Well I hope you're happy, the RANGERS game just finished up and the RED SOX lost another close game!!!!!!????? VELOCITY BOATS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jordy
    They are relatively easy to make if you are running a blower or a turbo motor as you can use the boost to inject water/methanol right out of a windshield washer type tank with no electrical parts or wiring involved. Making it work on a naturally aspirated motor would be a little trickier as you would have to have some type of pump and micro switch, either running off a throttle stop or a switch on the dash. Other than stating the obvious, I dont have any easy solutions for you as I dont know how involved you want to get with this project.
    Jordan

sgdiv7
    Make your own set up, all you need is a windshield washer pump,a spray nozzle, a little adjustable valve and a switch. I would think this would be cheaper then buying one. Don't go over a 50/50 mix of alchohal and water because the alchohal makes the fuel ratio to rich. Windshield washer fluid would work fine.

NorCal Gameshow
    do they have any effect on cylinder wall lubrication?(wash out)

spectras only
    BOFH, you may want to check this out; www.aquatune.com wink

BOFH
    Yes, there was a lot of stuff written about them in the 60's 70's and even into the 80's then they disapeared. The funny part is that they mad up for low fuel quality and with the fuel we have been getting lately I would think they would come back...
    As to rolling my own, I would need a sensor of the engine speed and vacume. You only want spray at low speed and low vacume. Otherwise you are waisting water/alchohal. I ran them on several race cars, and they made a difference.
    As to the wash out question, not if it is done correctly. It only sprays when detonation is at risk and does nothing most of the time. No if you just have a switch "watering your engine" you will have problems.