Thread: Piston Question

JetBoatRich
    Recently a friend was driving my motor home and got the engine hot. The next day I went to move it and heard a knocking, I thought it was a ROD. The 2nd opinion I got said it was the #3 piston slapping, caused from getting to hot. He told me I could still drive it and it may last a long time, just take it easy. At the same time he gave me a price to change the Chevy 454 @ $6,500. My question is can I really drive it and trust it. It is a 34' motor home and I pull a 21' boat at times. My friend has admitted he made a mistake by not looking at the guage, but no money has been given up yet.

Hotcrusader76
    JetBoatRich:
    Recently a friend was driving my motor home and got the engine hot. The next day I went to move it and heard a knocking, I thought it was a ROD. The 2nd opinion I got said it was the #3 piston slapping, caused from getting to hot. He told me I could still drive it and it may last a long time, just take it easy. At the same time he gave me a price to change the Chevy 454 @ $6,500. My question is can I really drive it and trust it. It is a 34' motor home and I pull a 21' boat at times. My friend has admitted he made a mistake by not looking at the guage, but no money has been given up yet.What does your "gut instinct" tell you?
    I know mine would say....pull the motor and check it out...otherwise drive the piss out of it, and have it towed home with two two rigs, one for the boat and the other for the RV...and call it an expensive weekend....LOL....Just my 0.02

JetBoatRich
    The thing runs great, the noise seems to be louder when 1st started. Not that I want to ruin the engine or be stuck on the side of the road, but my insurance will tow it. Has anyone tried to get their insurance to pay for it?

stressedout
    First of all there is no {taking it easy} in a 34' motor home ecspecially towing a boat.
    Is there a lot of age and miles on it?
    If not, then the best and cheapest thing would be rebuild this engine.
    It might only be a wrist pin knock and may last awhile longer, then again you might put a rod thru the block the next time you drive it.
    If it was mine I would not run it with a knock, I would rebuild before it blows. {Much Cheaper}

Rubths
    I would go purchase an aftermarket warranty for $1,500 to 2,000 and a month later take it in for a motor noise and let them take care of the bill!
    I have a 1992 winnebego brave 31ft I purchased a year ago and a 4 year 45000mile warranty only cost me $1500.

JetBoatRich
    Never heard of a warranty like that? Where di you get it?

JetBoatRich
    Thanks for the lead, see what happens.

sandblasted
    JetBoatRich:
    Recently a friend was driving my motor home and got the engine hot. The next day I went to move it and heard a knocking, I thought it was a ROD. The 2nd opinion I got said it was the #3 piston slapping, caused from getting to hot. He told me I could still drive it and it may last a long time, just take it easy. At the same time he gave me a price to change the Chevy 454 @ $6,500. My question is can I really drive it and trust it. It is a 34' motor home and I pull a 21' boat at times. My friend has admitted he made a mistake by not looking at the guage, but no money has been given up yet.Rich, $6500 to changeout a 454? Who is this bandit that wants to charge you that much?...You can pick up a brand new factory longblock from Chevy for around $2500..check out the web..you can get rebuilt 454 longblocks with 1 year warrantys for even less...
    $6500!! what a ripoff...

JetBoatRich
    I've been quoted $5,000-$6,500 to do the work. Most say the labor is about 40 hours work. They have to pull off the front of the motor home to get the engine out. Pretty big job.
    Greg if you know anybody let me know. I did look into the warranty idea, see how that works out.