Thread: Needles, Parker or Havasu for a vacation rental?

Chipster27
    I'm considering buying a vacation rental that I would use during the summer and rent to snow birds in the winter. Of course with real estate it's all about location!
    With that said, is anyone else on the forum doing something similar?
    My initial inclination is Havasu due to the economic development of the area as opposed to Parker or Needles which appear to be "drive thru" towns. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some great places in Parker and Needles, but it seems that Havasu might be more inviting to people looking to stay in an area for 5-6 months through the winter.
    Anyone have any experience with this?
    Chip

HatenWinter
    We do the same thing, we chose Havasu for a number of reasons. I think it's more of a vacation destination as opposed to Needles, although there are some nice homes on the river there. Also, you have everything you need within 10 minutes. I'd be willing to bet the market is quite a bit better as well. Just my opinion

shippingguy
    I'm considering buying a vacation rental that I would use during the summer and rent to snow birds in the winter. Of course with real estate it's all about location!
    With that said, is anyone else on the forum doing something similar?
    My initial inclination is Havasu due to the economic development of the area as opposed to Parker or Needles which appear to be "drive thru" towns. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some great places in Parker and Needles, but it seems that Havasu might be more inviting to people looking to stay in an area for 5-6 months through the winter.
    Anyone have any experience with this?
    Chip
    I would really take a look at Fort Mojave and Bullhead City. That area is growing and with the airport taking commercial flights it is really starting to grow. Look at Los Lagos, Desert Foothills, El Rio and also Laughlin Ranch. Just my .02

Bullhead is limited growth. Only 150 new homes per year. We have been looking into the same thing in the Needles area. Not as developed but there are some awesome places on the water.

Chipster27
    ...We have been looking into the same thing in the Needles area. Not as developed but there are some awesome places on the water.
    Our friends bought a place in a gated community, not on the river, but their project is in a "canal" type of setting, kind of like the place in Parker except it does not connect to the river.

SHOTKALLIN
    Sounds like Marina Coves in Mohave Valley AZ. That place started out with plans to connect to the river and I think they ran out of money. Now its a gated lake community. I think the project has changed hands a couple of times. Not to far from there is the new El Rio Country Club. The golf course is done and now the homes are starting to be built. Mohave Valley is nice because its midway between Laughlin/Bullhead and Havasu. Definitely the ground floor for development in this community. If you launch from Jack Smith Marina and go south its a short ride to the Havasu sandbar.

Faceaz
    We just decided to do the same deal & chose Parker - we're supposed to close on the house later this week. Our biggest reason for going there is you can keep the boat in the water overnight, unlike most places in Havasu.

Sleek316
    Hello Chipster,
    Lots of property available in Havasu. I understand right now its about twice the normal in terms of MLS listings. Something like 1200 listings with about 100 sold last month. I understand the usual listing/sales are about 600 listed with 300 sold monthly.
    I'd be willing to bet that you could lease as nice a place as you could ever want for 3 months in the summer and never have to worry about the rest of the time.
    Summer rentals are not that easy to fill is why I say that. Property values I think are holding unless/until we see a price cave in on the current MLS.
    Havasu is your best choice.

Tequila-John
    I have a great condo in Parker. 3 levels 2bed 2.5 bath. River view full furnished.