Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy with your Labbed Prop?

SHAKEN Not Stirred
    I gained almost 4 mph with my Mercury labbed 28P.......
    CJG

MACHINEHEAD
    My exp. has been that if you have a fairly stout motor that makes 700hp from
    5000-5400 lets say, and your currently running 5100, labbing it wont do any thing but add rpm. Boat still runs 80 lets say, but now you have 3% more slip almost all the time. Your also beating your motor a little. Yes they almost always have a little better time to plane. However, if you have a motor that makes 700hp from 5000-5100, and your currently running 4900, this trade for slip may not offset the amount of horsepower gained from 4900 to 5100, your boat just may go faster because it is now it is in its proper opperating range. Labbed props slip. Every boat/engine combo that leaves my shop gets a full day at the lake, after engine dyno, with full instramentation and data logged. 2 out of 19 so far have left with labbed props. Box stock checked out by Bronson is the way I fly.

Throttle
    Should push that Cobra into the 60's if youy get it trimmed just right
    i was hoping for 45.... smartazzz

Ultrafied
    What were you running prior to the labbed prop?? Are you running a 496 or 496HO?? Just curious because we have an HO with a 24p labbed prop and are thinking that a 26 might get more top end.
    I was running a 24 with the 496 Mag. Stayed with the 24 and had it tuned. John York is a great guy and gets my recommendation. Just make sure you know what your WOT rpms is, what your top speed is at WOT, and what you want (i.e. normally running with how many people, more out of the hole, more mid-range, more top end, etc.). Hope this helps.

dicudmore
    I was running a 24 with the 496 Mag. Stayed with the 24 and had it tuned. John York is a great guy and gets my recommendation. Just make sure you know what your WOT rpms is, what your top speed is at WOT, and what you want (i.e. normally running with how many people, more out of the hole, more mid-range, more top end, etc.). Hope this helps.
    I second the York recommendation, based on past repair work...
    am not currently running a labbed anything, as I am currently without boat :220v:

Kilrtoy
    I have labbed props and they cost to fix what most people pay for new bravo props.
    and to be honest I do not notice any difference between
    67MPH and 70MPH
    77MPH and 80MPH
    and so on.....

I've run several props before and after the Whipple, and yes the labbed props always gave a few extra MPH, but there's more to it than that. Mid range acceleration was generally better and also they had less of a tendancy to cav, so even the steering was a little different. I run a labbed 29 (had my 30 cut down 'cuz it wouldn't quite pull it with my a$$ on board!) and I have a stock 28 as a spare, or when at Powell.
    my .02
    -----Rob

Ultrafied
    I have labbed props and they cost to fix what most people pay for new bravo props.
    and to be honest I do not notice any difference between
    67MPH and 70MPH
    77MPH and 80MPH
    and so on.....
    It was noticeable on my GPS, Kilr ... :rollside: I wanted to hit the 70 mark and I did. Could I feel the sudden burst of acceleration after having the prop tuned? I don't think so.
    But then again, I didn't expect to. I got what I wanted and for reasonably inexpensive price. JMHO ....

Supultlbich
    [QUOTE=Throttle]i am runnin a 496 ho, had a 26 prop lab finished but have not really had a good chance to compare the differences... My boat was runnin great before the only reason I wanted it done was to get the rpm's in the right operatin ranges for optimum performance. it cost me around 3 bills... headed out tomorrow nite and i will be back from runnin it on saturday, i'll get back to ya.[/QUO
    Did you have your current prop machined or did you buy a new one?? If you have a spare 26 I know someone who would like to give it a spin!!!!!!!

FASTERDAMITT
    tt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast