Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching to HEI

502 JET
    I have a 79 Mercruiser Alpha 260 (350) sbc.It is still running points.I would like to switch it over to a Hei distributor.
    Has anyone successfully done this?
    Here is where the problem lies.There is a momentary stutter switch that shorts out the ignition so you can shift from forward to reverse.With out the ignition cutting out it would be very difficult or impossible to shift (and also damage to the drive could occur).I believe this switch is connected to the negative side of the coil.
    If I install the Hei how would I connect the stutter/cut out wiring?
    If I connect it to the tach terminal of the Hei would it give the same affect?

GofastRacer
    Well I'm not familiar with that setup, but I would think that it's connected to the tach, sounds like it's a safety deal so you can't throw it in reverse at high RPM's??, I'd give it a try and see what it does, can't hurt anything!.. BTW, make sure you have a "direct" 12 volt feed to the HEI, use 12 guage wire minimum and if you have to have a long wire use 10 guage!....

tbanzer
    If I am correct HEI is not a marine distributor ( explosion proof). But to answer your question you would interupt the main power wire on the side of the cap I believe it is marked BAT with the TACH terminal next to it.

GofastRacer
    They do come in a marine application!..
    D.U.I.! (http://www.performancedistributors.com/)

jtmarten
    I have a 79 Mercruiser Alpha 260 (350) sbc.It is still running points.I would like to switch it over to a Hei distributor.
    Has anyone successfully done this?
    Here is where the problem lies.There is a momentary stutter switch that shorts out the ignition so you can shift from forward to reverse.With out the ignition cutting out it would be very difficult or impossible to shift (and also damage to the drive could occur).I believe this switch is connected to the negative side of the coil.
    If I install the Hei how would I connect the stutter/cut out wiring?
    If I connect it to the tach terminal of the Hei would it give the same affect?
    No. You'd just momentarily disable the tach. The switch should be connected to the BAT terminal of the HEI as long as it's an inline connection. If you hook it to the BAT side make sure the switch isn't grounded when closed. I'm pretty sure it's an inline switch, but it's been a long time.

502 JET
    No. You'd just momentarily disable the tach. The switch should be connected to the BAT terminal of the HEI as long as it's an inline connection. If you hook it to the BAT side make sure the switch isn't grounded when closed. I'm pretty sure it's an inline switch, but it's been a long time.
    The interrupt switch grounds the negative side of the coil now.So it would not work grounding the positive terminal.

jkh04200
    What kind of igniton is on it now?

502 JET
    What kind of igniton is on it now?
    It its either a Mallory or Prestolite distributor with points.

DelawareDave
    It may be easier to switch to a Thunderbolt ignition. Everything would hook up the same.
    Oh- it's called the "shift interrupter switch".
    502- I believe I have the Merc service manuals for that motor in my storage boxes someplace. Try Marine Power Service in Brick (I think) for new/used parts, if you can't find someone closer.

502 JET
    It may be easier to switch to a Thunderbolt ignition. Everything would hook up the same.
    Oh- it's called the "shift interrupter switch".
    502- I believe I have the Merc service manuals for that motor in my storage boxes someplace. Try Marine Power Service in Brick (I think) for new/used parts, if you can't find someone closer.
    Thanks Dave
    I have a manual.I know about the the thunderbolt system.I can get a new complete system for about $250. wich is cheap.I may just go this route.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast