Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercury 525SC Blowers

2dasand
    Hey guys, what can you tell me about these? My new boat (new to me) has what is basically a 525SC motor, and I want to know a little more about it. I have searched both here, and on the internet, but cannot find much info. I went to Mercurys website, and there are no archives for this motor. I know the blowers were made by Weiand, and I know they are not the biggest, or best sized, but better than nothing. Are these the same as the Weiand 174? Also, are there intercoolers available for them? The intercooler is just a thought, but i will probably upgrade the blower down the road instead. Any info would be great!

Daytona100
    Weiand 177 1050 carb 7.5 comp 490 propshaft HP Full throttle rpm 4800-5200

2dasand
    Thank you! Any pics?
    Does anybody have any IC info?

Daytona100
    How big is your upper pulley? Im running the same setup what size prop and rpm are you turning?

2dasand
    Well, kind of a long story. I bought a boat with no motor. Complete, otherwise though. My buddy who owns a boat shop turned me onto the boat (Hallett 240), and made me a DEAL on the motor. They are building the motor from scratch, but they had pretty much all of the parts for SC525 motor, with some improvements. It will be a 468, better bottom end with Eagle rods,good pistons, etc., stock SC type heads with Inconel valves good springs/locks/retainers, a brand new blower (see my avatar pic), roller cam, roller rockers, Dominator carb, and Imco Powerflow Manifolds. Lets just say I couldn't pass up the deal. I know the blower is not the best in the world for big power, but I am ok with it for now. The pulley is the stock SC pulley. They told me it should make about 4PSI. If I go to the high boost kit, I might get 6psi, but we'll see. They have built a similar package a couple times before, and they dynoed around 630HP.
    The guy I bought the boat from gave me a Hydromotive 26P 4 blade prop to start with, but I am not sure where I am going to be. The motor should be done any day now, and I will get to installing it! Hopefully I will be in the water in the next couple of weeks! I am dying to drive this thing!

MACHINEHEAD
    I know this guy named Kevin over at Concept Marine that has done a few of those as well. He will have some input on your build. Yes there are intercoolers for the 177.

2dasand
    Thanks, it just so happens Kevin is my builder! Sounds like you know him pretty well.

2dasand
    Actually, since you mentioned it....I have not heard very good things about him. I heard he is really slow, and takes vacation in the middle of a build! What kind of crap is that?
    Sorry had to....... :rollside:

Anthony78vdrive
    I believe Teague Marine in Valencia Ca sales a super chiller intercooler for that blower. Give them a call 661-295-7000.
    Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast