Thread: Choice of oil systems

Snowboat
    I've fished around before and didn't get much action. My parts will be back from the machine shop soon. What type of pump and how large a sump are the SS boats running. I had oil starvation at #1 rod, progressive to that point. I was at about 7,000 rpms. Any thoughts prior to the point of no return would be appreciated.

superdave013
    Your engine is in backwards from a SS boat. They drive off of the snout, not the flywheel. I use a 14 qt. Dooley pan. It is a great pan with a ton of baffles in it. Here is a pic of the windage tray and pic-up that comes with it.
    http://community.webshots.com/storag...hXDnZts_ph.jpg

Snowboat
    Even though this is a runner, the engine is like an ss boat. The engine front cover is to the front and drives off of the front of the crank. It has a Mellings racing oil pump with both high volume and high pressure (I thin), pn #10777. My pan is baffled but is seven or eight quarts, kicks out on both sides like a dirt circle track pan. Have a windage try. Nice engine, Dave.

superdave013
    Oh, my bad then. I just remember the pics you posted of your boat and it was set up drag race style (blower belt to the back).
    You should shoot LeE ss13 or 126driver an e-mail on this.

Infomaniac
    No matter how large the pan capacity. Make sure you are not pumping it all to the top of the engine at high RPM's.

schiada96
    Sd should not have to spin that motor he is building too hard. That thing should make 1300 ft lbs of torque

Snowboat
    Superdave. This boat is a Howard runner. The one you were thinking of is a Biesemeyer. Infomaniac, how do I make sure all the oil is not staying up top. There are oil restrictors for the solids and the holes are smoothed and the casting flash removed. I do have some debris sreens epoxied in the valley. Maybe I should remove those? Thanks.