Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torque Converter for V-Drive

namtra
    I'm running a 24 foot Campbell and would like to know what the right Torque Converter is for the TH400 I am running. There is one in the boat now, but it's so old it's hard to decypher what it is. Any tips. The Motor is making about 650 hp and we have removed first gear out of the trans. Thanks.

lucky
    put a new drive plate in it and don't run a converter - go to Rex on line cataloge -- less moving parts = good

RUSHIN ROULETTE
    Lucky is right....

Unchained
    http://namtramedia.com/ttkong.gif
    That motor looks like 650 hp per bank.
    Those are some big ass compressors.

enzo
    That motor looks like 650 hp per bank.
    Those are some big ass compressors.
    Try 1500 hp per bank. watch the video on the dyno www.nelsonracingengines.com

lilrick
    I'm running a 24 foot Campbell and would like to know what the right Torque Converter is for the TH400 I am running. There is one in the boat now, but it's so old it's hard to decypher what it is. Any tips. The Motor is making about 650 hp and we have removed first gear out of the trans. Thanks.
    from what I've been told.....A converter is better because of the added coolng capacity. (I think they hold about three quarts or so). The TC is not an ordinary truck conveter. The way I understand it is that they gut the inside of the converter and weld it back up making it direct drive so to speak, there is no stall. Also, they add length to the (spline hub or whatever it's called) to compensatefor the thickness of the motorplate you are using. I just ordered one for $125.00

enzo
    ordered it from?

lilrick
    put a new drive plate in it and don't run a converter - go to Rex on line cataloge -- less moving parts = good
    I'm not sure I understand how a torque converter adds more parts than the adapter thingie. Am I forgetting something?:idea:

lilrick
    ordered it from?
    Jerry's transmission....I forget where I put the #, but I'll get it up here today. They are very familiar with boat trannies. They are in so cal, where are you?

enzo
    San Diego,
    the only thing the converter adds is weight though - with the inertia created by spinning the fluid and the converter - its actually dragging on the motor further, sounds like a direct link with lighter weight would be fine too? wouldn't you agree.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast