Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ilmors big chance......

NashvilleBound
    We'll here we go again with more issues...... Last weekend while out in Knoxville I blew my drive. Yes, the Teague Platinum one that was 2" too low from Magic. I have had SEVERAL issues with my Ilmor including one blown motor, 5 ECM's and such. The motor was idling at 2000 and when i had to go in and out of gear it was banging pretty hard. Anyways, if I had to guess I would say that could have possibly contributed to the drive failure. So I have asked Ilmor to step up and trade my whole package in on their new motor/drive that is coming out. I think they should swap it out even for all the problems I have had to deal with......I think I have been a pretty good sport. And I give them good Customer Service for sure! TBH: Realistically, my business side was figuring they would ask me for $10-15k difference.....but my first number was $83k and some change...... I guess welll see what happens today. Hate to think I am going to have to throw a Internet Stink Fit......

DCBDaytona
    Good Luck. Sorry to hear about your misfortune...We'll see if Ilmor steps up.

Starloans
    NB sorry to hear about the Ilmor and drive. I've heard a lot of good things about that engine but I was afraid to touch it being so new, bugs, service access, etc. when I was having my beater built. I'm sure Ilmor will make it right since they want to ensure future sales. As you know I went with the trusty HP525. I think I have one of the slowest DCB's on the water. At poker runs or regatta's, I'm always the last one to arrive.......but I always arrive. Sorry....didn't mean to rub it in. :cry: Wait a minute...I've never been in a poker run....anyway it goes 80 mph and that's fast enough for this old man. You have a nice boat. I hope you get it back on the water soon.
    I have to say I'm suprised to hear you were shifting gears at 2K rpm. I'm no marine tech but I'd say that had A LOT to do with grenadeing your drive. I'm not sure you should tell the mfg about that if you want them to replace it. Maybe they don't read ***boat threads either. :rollside: But.....you know what they say........everytime you hear a noise in a boat, it's another $1,000. :rollside: And you got the MONEY!!!! I wish I had your money! Good Luck!

HocusPocus
    sounds like its time to start from scratch with a new boat. i remember all the trouble you had with Magic when you bought it. good luck i hope it all works out and you get back on the water soon.

RiverOtter
    You could always go with the 350 Mag with a BIII set up :idea:

Kilrtoy
    Sounds like it might be a set up issue and also shifting at 2K is not good for any drive regards of what it is....

Racer277
    I have to say I'm suprised to hear you were shifting gears at 2K rpm. I'm no marine tech but I'd say that had A LOT to do with grenadeing your drive. I'm not sure you should tell the mfg about that if you want them to replace it.
    I could be wrong, but:
    The way I read it, he's asking Ilmore to step up on his drive, because the high engine idle caused the drive failure.
    If the idle won't come down (ECU, intake leak, etc) what else can you do?
    You gotta shift.
    That's how I read it anyway...

Nord
    This is why some guys start there boat in gear!!!! 200k RPMs is really high, if the outdrive can't take it, then they should tell you to shift with the boat off!!! I've seen it done a lot with the big engines.......

NashvilleBound
    Exactly. I didnt throttle up to shift trust me. All of the ECM's went bad causing the high rpm. Ilmor as of today does not want to sell me a 750 I guess as they still wanted as much as I paid for it all over again for the switch. BUT...they are taking care of the drive for me. Ian said he will get it replaced....along with ANOTHER ECM. Love the setup....just dont want to have to worry about things breaking.

FullUp
    I think he's asking for an upgrade from what ever he has to Ilmor 680's /700's (they haven't been named yet). Pretty tall request to any manufacturer unless they were discontinued. They certainly should make good on the warranty on your existing engines. These have been bitchen engines for the most part. It's nice to have an alternative to the Blue stuff. Good luck either way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast