Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1 havasu Councilman is easing off Channel Closure

UncleLarry
    Here's a copy of a letter one of the Mayors right hand council members has released... One down 3 to go. need to get 4 council members to vote against the banning of mooring in OUR Channel..
    Friends,
    Once again, a hot topic has surfaced from the City Council - Mooring. Reaction from the public has been very strong and one sided since our Mayor mentioned the notion of closing the south channel to mooring. I need to put all this in proper perspective from my viewpoint.
    This issue came to council as a concern of our police dept. The police chief is concerned that they are understaffed in handling the big holiday crowds on the channel. New concerns from the chief are rising rival gang presence and illegal drug use along the channel. That was stated in his presentation. On the positive side, the Chief stated that instances of arrest, even with the zero tolerance policy, was down 29% from prior years.
    The Mayor suggested that the problem could be easily corrected if the City were to simply close the south side of the channel to all mooring. That comment just fueled a fire of protest and the spin machine was up an going again. The comment was perhaps a little premature remembering that it came from a council work session. This issue is a work in progress with no council recommendations at this time.
    So this last weekend I set up the council booth at the swap meet for the 9th time to listen to what the public is saying. I was there from 7:30 until 2 PM. The Mayor came and answered questions from 10 am until 2pm also. His viewpoint and answers were different than mine. The experience was good ( difficult at times) but I did learn quite a few viewpoints.
    Here is what I heard:
    The vast majority want mooring to continue in the Bridgewater Channel. People are very concerned that the elimination of mooring will adversely effect our primary business in town - tourism. People realize that sometimes a few get out of control and that law enforcement needs a very strong presence and they support the zero tolerance policy too. There seems to be no public feeling for a need to control alcohol consumption along the channel. I am hoping that those who know that tourism is very important to Havasu also realize that the English Village is a key factor is a city policy of strong support of tourism.
    I must remember that this initial group is most likely primarily composed of those most upset with the idea of no mooring and those opposing this new city council on other issues too. I am interested in your input too. Please let me know your thoughts.
    MY CONCLUSIONS TO DATE OF
    THE CHANNEL ISSUE:
    (Public Safety is the #1 concern)
    - The City should take over jurisdictional law enforcement authority of Thompson Bay.
    - On big weekends, travel thru the channel should be one way only from south to north.
    - Jet ski traffic should be restricted from the channel during big holiday weekends only.
    - Police presence needs to be increased on big holiday weekends using the mobile booking station.
    - Random boater sobriety checks need to be conducted at both exits from the ends of the channel.
    - Consider an increase in fines for non-compliance to posted no tolerance warnings signs.
    I have asked the City Attorney to give me an update on the jurisdictional issues for enforcement of a no alcohol policy along the channel. There are different jurisdictional areas governing alcohol consumption along the channel. I am seeking a common policy of enforcement that makes sense should police dept want to pursue this approach to area control.
    Bruce Hinman
    City Council member

GHT
    He seems to be on the right page NOW.... If they would enforce the items he has pointed out there would be less of a problem..
    How do you have 29% LESS arrest than prior years when you have a ZERO tolerance..?? I saw MANY occasions there could have been arrest made and the cops just sat in their golf cart watchin'....??

ChumpChange
    - Jet ski traffic should be restricted from the channel during big holiday weekends only.
    I think this is my favorite proposal. Let's expand this to the entire Colorado river!

2Driver
    He seems to be on the right page NOW.... If they would enforce the items he has pointed out there would be less of a problem..
    How do you have 29% LESS arrest than prior years when you have a ZERO tolerance..?? I saw MANY occasions there could have been arrest made and the cops just sat in their golf cart watchin'....??
    It's high time the public (Locals and those that love LHC) move this from a defense posture.
    Instead of protesting about what might be done to you, locals should be cramming the incompetence of the Mayor an Town officials down their own throat in a public venue. You guys should stem a public hearing and call incompetence for them allowing the town, Channel and river to get to this point. They should be on the defensive and be made to respond on the issue of not attending to the town's problems.
    They run the f'n town and have the power to manage it in partnership with other agencies and they have failed. Their further incompetence is only demonstrated by their recent solution for curbing behavior.
    Those with a stake in Havasu should turn the tables on those idiots and make them respond

That Guy
    Not sure that I agree on each and every point but definitely a more rational approach from someone who appears to at least listen. Larry...thank you so much for helping us to stay informed.

Havasu_Dreamin
    <SNIP>
    MY CONCLUSIONS TO DATE OF
    THE CHANNEL ISSUE:
    (Public Safety is the #1 concern)
    - The City should take over jurisdictional law enforcement authority of Thompson Bay.
    - On big weekends, travel thru the channel should be one way only from south to north.
    - Police presence needs to be increased on big holiday weekends using the mobile booking station.
    - Random boater sobriety checks need to be conducted at both exits from the ends of the channel.
    - Consider an increase in fines for non-compliance to posted no tolerance warnings signs.
    I have asked the City Attorney to give me an update on the jurisdictional issues for enforcement of a no alcohol policy along the channel. There are different jurisdictional areas governing alcohol consumption along the channel. I am seeking a common policy of enforcement that makes sense should police dept want to pursue this approach to area control.
    Bruce Hinman
    City Council member
    Some random musings about these proposals:
    If it's good enough for the big weekends, why not just do it year round? would certainly lead to less confusion.
    I know this will alleviate the problem we all have with the idiot jet skiers, but this seems kinda one sided. Not all of the jet skiers are idiots. Proactive enforcement of unsafe operation might be a better solution
    Works for me. Haul off anyone caught breaking the zero tolerance policy.
    Certainly not going to be a popular option, but we all may very well benefit from it.
    Sounds good. Make the lesson a harsh one.
    As far as the rival gangs and not being able to handle it, I noticed every holiday weekend last year that there was some AZ Gang Enforcement unit in town patrolling the channel on foot. Increae their presence. Bring in more MCSD deputies and AZ DPS if needed.
    At least Councilman Hinman is willing to think of other ways to reduce the problems in the channel, for that he is to be commended.
    What we, as responsible boaters, need to do is work with the council and city to come up with a solution. We all know the no mooring is not the solution, but let's try and be part of the solution as opposed to part of the problem, or perceived problem.

ChumpChange
    I know this will alleviate the problem we all have with the idiot jet skiers, but this seems kinda one sided. Not all of the jet skiers are idiots. Proactive enforcement of unsafe operation might be a better solution
    I don't think it's because they're idiots, it's because of their pollution and air quality or lack there of that they bring.

ChumpChange
    I don't think it's because they're idiots, it's because of their pollution and air quality or lack there of that they bring.
    Please note: All three proper forms of their/they're/there in the same sentence. A ***boat first.

Havasu_Dreamin
    If it's CO related issue, the smoke billowing out of the jet skis is not CO as CO is colorless and odorless. But the billowing smoke does suck as well.

That Guy
    Please note: All three proper forms of their/they're/there in the same sentence. A ***boat first.
    LMAO....very funny.... :crossx:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast