Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Strut Bushings

Fired Up
    I just pulled the old (fiber) bushings from the strut on my flat. The front bushing was pretty well worn smooth. The rear bushing was not worn nearly as much. My question is how long should the bushings be? The old ones are 2" and 2 1/4". Is that long enough for high performance use? Do I have to polish or hone them or is there a break in procedure before I stick my brand new (1" dia.) shaft in?

Just-Jettin
    When buying strut bushing material it will come in a 4" length or so. Just cut it in half and you will be just fine. There is no break-in procedure for new bushings whether your prop shaft is new or old.

Fired Up
    Well I got the new bushings in. But the new shaft will not slide in with any ease. It would seem to me that the compression of the strut barrel on the bushing is just enough to make the diameter smaller. Suggestions anyone...?

Sam, the strut Bushing gets compressed and tightens up the clearance. You need to get some sand paper or a round file and start hogging out the bushing. Much easier done when the bushing is out of the strut. Nonetheless, get busy filing or sanding away. Go just far enough to snugly force the prop shaft through. Twist it as you push it through the strut. It will be slightly tedious.

Fired Up
    JBG,
    Thanks. I slid the bushing on the shaft BEFORE I installed it. It went on very smoothly. It did compress once installed in the strut though. I'll start the sanding this weekend. I picked up some 15% and 18% gears this week. 135.00 each set.

Sam, I am still trying to get my friend to decide whether or not he is selling his motor. It would be the perfect piece for you.

Costello
    Has anyone used the turcit strut bushings that Jim Wilkes mentioned in Hot Boat a few months ago? I'd just like to know if they are worth the extra money, the pros and cons etc. vs rubber or fiber.

spectras only
    Costello, I replaced my turcit bushing with the fiber one.The turcit bushing had 500 hours use out of, before started to vibrate ,caused by the wear.My friend selling the fibre ones for decades with no less maintenance life.I think it's personal preference.
    [This message has been edited by spectras only (edited January 14, 2002).]

Costello
    Thank you Spectrasonly, 500 hours is a ton!! I know from my experience that I have gotten anything near that with the fiber. I'm going to try the turcit.

Fired Up
    Well,I have been honing away on these bushings. The first (lower) one I was finally able to sand enough to get the shaft to slide in reasonably easy. I used small sanding wheels made of both #320 paper and emery cloth that resemble fans and fit inside the strut perfectly. The upper bushing is more difficult. It almost seems to be slighlty out of alignment with the lower bushing. When I slide the shaft in it does not hit square in the middle of the upper bushing. I have to put downward pressure on the shaft while I twist it and try pushing it in. I do not want to sand all the fiber out of the bushings. How much honing is acceptable? Do I just keep honing until the shaft slides in freely? If anyone remembers it was a real pain in the neck getting the old shaft out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast